Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
yesterday I bought my new build a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Limited with a IN-LINE 6 (best engine ever built IMHO) 12000 miles on the rebuilt engine and Tranny 179560 on the body runs real strong tranny is tight. Steering is sloppy but I will replace that stuff when I put the lift on it I got the Jeep a set of brand new stickered Goodyear Wrangler all terrains tax license registration out the door for $1321.00 and for after the lift he is throwing in a set of milestar patagonia mt half tread life for free. Time for the work to begin

Jkinna

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anthem, AZ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kinnaman
Member #

Congratulations! I love Jeeps. I’m sure it will make a great platform for your build.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Here ya go her name is Scarlet. After Johansson sexy as hell.

Attachments

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Oh I had one up until about a year ago when I was sitting at a red light minding my own business and some kid hit me going 45 to 50 ripped the rear axle from under it been really searching for a replacement for three months I bought it from a tow company that impounded it from a drunk driver and it’s been sitting for a year and when i first started it you could tell but 30 seconds later she was purring but as I told my wife this redhead is a mouthy dirty little whore that likes it rough

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

We had a '98 5.9 Grand plus am '04 Columbia Grand with rge 4.0L. Both were fabulous vehicles. My 5.9 Grand is still alive, 3 blocks from home. Sold it 10 years ago.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
sweet ride
looks like a very good shape, no accident truck
extra tires are a nice bonus and i would'nt worry about it being a unibody, there still very good off-roaders
Couple of rub marks on both front and rear bumpers and one tail cover has a good chunk out of it , minor stuff

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I like the 4.0, but I can't quite say it is the best engine ever built. That accolade belongs to the 5.9 Cummins 12V.

But it is worth noting they are both inline sixes.

The ZJ doesn't need apologies for its unibody construction. The XJ seems to perform fairly well on a weaker unibody. Jeep learned from the XJ and did a better job on the ZJ. I get tempted to pick a ZJ every now and then. They can be found cheap, while cheap XJs are becoming scarce. And if you find a cheap XJ it is probably beat to death, whereas a cheap ZJ can be found with nothing worse than peeling clear coat.

Nice start for a build.

Reactions: Graeman

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
That’s about the only thing cosmetically wrong is the clear coat and like I said the rub spots and generally just being dusty from sitting closed up in a impound yard what kind of human gets their Jeep locked up and just leaves it

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Man, I'm sure the police are after you, 'cause you stole that thing! Enjoy the new rig & build!
Yeah I know most around here are going for three times that amount when I saw the asking price (it was actually 300 less than I paid) I called and flat out asked “why so low?” This guy is a used car dealer and his answer to me nothings wrong with it I just gotta sell a ton of cars by Monday or the county is gonna close me down for having to many vehicles we talked about an hour about trucks and wheelin just bullshit then I told him if he wants more traffic raise the prices about 500 per car if he didn’t get twice the number of calls and foot traffic I would by it at double his asking price. I live 60 miles away so the next night I go down to test drive just like I said I would I get there he tells me he had five calls and four people try to buy my Jeep and he sold five other cars that day. I still paid over his asking price because I am sure he could have got more and he turned them down to save it for me. My wife didn’t like me doing that but karma and he and I are becoming good friends best part about that he has a kickin shop

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
yesterday I bought my new build a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Limited with a IN-LINE 6 (best engine ever built IMHO) 12000 miles on the rebuilt engine ...
LOVE an in-line six engine ... I just found out me nephew has a 1990s Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting in his yard. He bought it off a buddy, who owns a towing business (no one ever picked it up after it was towed). He really didn't have any plans for it because he got it so cheap. I told him he needs to build it as his overland vehicle and stop screwing around with his Isuzu Vehicross.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've seen XJ's with the unibody all ripped up in the rear.

Any shmuck with mediocre welding skills can fix them right up, better than new. It's a non issue. Especially with dozens of donor vehicles in every single junkyard everywhere. No big deal at all.

Not even as complex as welding in subframe connectors on a 99-04 Mustang.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Especially with dozens of donor vehicles in every single junkyard everywhere. No big deal at all.
I hate to break it to you, but this is changing.

The SoCal junkyards are slim pickings anymore. Other markets are just a few years behind.

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The ''tough truck'' competitions sure didn't help. There's still a ton in the midwest.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

That Jeep is going to be a fun build. Great price too. Congrats man!

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I think it will be a great build especially if I keep in mind I am overlanding not rock crawling take it easy on the lift. Keep the weight down. That type of stuff first major trip is just a couple months off I want to show her off at expo west I am sure though that this budget build (I would like to keep the total cost below say 12000 total) will be passed up and over looked. I see guys with these brand new $60,000 rig that they dump another $30,000 into in mods and upgrades. I sit there looking at it thinking who has that kinda money? I mean really if I spent 100,000 on a vehicle I don’t think it’s going to be going through brush and water crossings and up and over rocks that are going to tear it up. No I want it to be a rig that guys like me can see it and think hey I can do that I got everything already in the garage. Case in point I don’t have them I doubt I ever will because I am to cheap to pay nearly $400 on a set of maxxtraxx they maybe good and they are probably better than most knock offs out there but how many times do people actually use them.