waterproof matches

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I don't know if this will help you, or will interest you but I am going to share. For the past 8 years I have conducted a science fair project with my second graders. We test waterproof matches, store bought and homemade with nail polish and dipped in wax. After all these years several things have been proven to me. First, store bought matches (coleman and coglans) only last 30 minutes in water then they are useless. Second is Nail polish is not a great method, but is better than factory made. But, the wax dipped matches last the longest. I have consistently had waxed dipped matches last an hour sitting in water and be able to burn. Today I had a match sit in water over six hours and it lit. The old ways seem to still be the best.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

I have a stormproof set I bought 2 years a. Have not had to use them yet. So I can't comment on how good, butmi know they sell well..

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have a stormproof set I bought 2 years a. Have not had to use them yet. So I can't comment on how good, butmi know they sell well..
When I hunt I have a box of lifeboat matches. They work great. But at cost you would not want use a lot of them.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I don't know if this will help you, or will interest you but I am going to share. For the past 8 years I have conducted a science fair project with my second graders. We test waterproof matches, store bought and homemade with nail polish and dipped in wax. After all these years several things have been proven to me. First, store bought matches (coleman and coglans) only last 30 minutes in water then they are useless. Second is Nail polish is not a great method, but is better than factory made. But, the wax dipped matches last the longest. I have consistently had waxed dipped matches last an hour sitting in water and be able to burn. Today I had a match sit in water over six hours and it lit. The old ways seem to still be the best.
Cool!