Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Am starting to design an off road trailer. Am considering installing a water tank and need some ideas. What did you use and where did you end up installing it?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I ended up using waterbricks because I’m not off grid every time. I place them over the axle to keep the balance unchanged.

Reactions: Billiebob

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I didn't install mine myself, but my trailer has a 22gal tank underneath, over the axle, to keep the center of gravity low. The tank has a baffle across the middle from front to back so if the trailer is way off camber, the water does not all rush to the downhill side, keeping things more balanced.

The tank is armored, too, to protect it on the trail. Via a 12v pump, it feeds dual outlets on the left rear corner for a sink setup and a single mixed outlet on the front right corner for a shower hookup. All plumbing lines are HD mil-spec.

There are tank manufacturers that make all sorts of shapes and sizes for vehicles. For a trailer, I would want one wide and flat and centered in your build. I know some who put a wide flat tank on the floor inside and build a floor over it.

Wesley Lyle 72

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Carrollton, GA, USA
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Lyle
Member #

Am starting to design an off road trailer. Am considering installing a water tank and need some ideas. What did you use and where did you end up installing it?
You can take 8 “ pvc pope put a water spout in the end. Then mount it to the frame rail.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you can design the tank, custom roto molding can more than likely make it. they make top notch tanks, I have used a lot of them

Trent Munson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ada County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Munson
Member #

30 gallons is 250 pounds. That is a lot of weight, have you seen any problems since install. I was thinking 20 gallons max.
No issues. Everything pulls fine fully loaded on my load test runs. When we had it out on the road, I would typically only have 15-20 gallons in it. I wanted the bigger tank "just in case". There are 3 of us and needs change from trip to trip.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I camp alone so I don't need a lot, I'll be adding a 10 or 15 gallon tank ahead of the axle, under the deck this winter, plus a pump.
DSCN1000.jpg

Reactions: Trent Munson

MjC54

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arlington Tn
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Cominsky
Member #

I'm am running a 21 gallon tank and 12v on demand pump that runs off my deep cycle set up. Installed over the axle on the right side of trailer. Cargo and gear on the left side balance it out nice. 20190923_165548.jpeg20191018_081349.jpeg