water tank? Anyone using a rather large water tank on their DIY built trailer?

• HTML tutorial

Purpony

Rank I

Member I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
Member #

Working on a 4x6 trailer and looking to add a large thin water tank to have water for a hot water shower.

Just wondering if anything has a rather large tank? how much water do you have onboard?

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

22 gal water tank here, under the trailer, above the axle, armored.

watertank-from-underneath.png

Tank is baffled to keep water from all sloshing to one side if off camber, maintaining center of gravity more than without.

xv-2-cargo_2216-700.jpeg
- Fill spout cap is inside the trailer (forward of wheel well in image above); overflow tube comes out underneath the trailer there.
- On demand propane fired water heater in trailer rear of wheel well, armored from cargo.
- 12v pump adjacent to the water tank underneath, access plate through armor at rear.
- Easy to drain and winterize or sanitize, with central drain plug through armor.
- Water lines all mil spec pex style.
- Plumbed to front right with single line from water heater for shower hookup. Adjust temp/pressure at the heater.
- Plumbed to left rear with separate hot/cold for faucet.

water-hookups-rtrear_5105-700.jpg
Water lines hook up with quick-release fittings, plugs when not using.

sink.jpg
Faucet mounts through fender step.

Been a dream to have, especially when off-grid for long periods. Having hot and cold running water in camp changes the way I cook, clean, relax, and stay out longer.

I'm planning on adding a similar system to my van for those times I'm away from, or not using, my trailer, and for when I'm out working or shooting somewhere.

ChrisEllsworth

Rank II

Contributor III

Gainesville, Virginia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ellsworth
Member #

Working on a 4x6 trailer and looking to add a large thin water tank to have water for a hot water shower.

Just wondering if anything has a rather large tank? how much water do you have onboard?
I have a 21gal tank and water pump on my M416 build. I keep it in the tub. Works well as long as temperatures are a over freezing.

Attachments

Reactions: freak4life and Road

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My M-100 has a 15 gal and my teardrop has an 11 gal. Both have very good water filters on them.
I opted for smaller tanks to keep the weight down. I've gone a bit more than a week on my 15 gal still doing a quick shower when I feel I need it. I also carry 6 gal of water on my rig. In my opinion, worse case is topping off water as I go. I spent 5 days in Death Valley two months ago in my teardrop and had to drain the tank for the trip home.
Ask yourself how much water do you use on a trip? Even though I have a filter, my drinking water tends to be bottled water. If you have a shower and a water heater, don't leave the water running and do a quick shower. You will be surprised how little water you use if you conserve.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy

I guess the first question I have is what does a rather large tank mean to you?

I have a 22 gal under the frame on my little yellow trailer, a 52 gal in my tent on wheels (camper) and 850 on the trailer I haul water on.

Purpony

Rank I

Member I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
Member #

I guess the first question I have is what does a rather large tank mean to you?

I have a 22 gal under the frame on my little yellow trailer, a 52 gal in my tent on wheels (camper) and 850 on the trailer I haul water on.
Valid question... I was thinking of 40 to 60 gals. Im looking to do a trip to the outer banks and spend some time at cape lookout. I havnt verified it water is radially available there or not yet. I was looking to install a long thin tank in my trailer, but the more i was thinking about it, it make make more sense to install a few smaller tanks mated together. This way i could have a couple valves and if i want to carry a smaller amount of water i could, or have a small amount in all 3 and it would act more like a baffled tank. Water would be mostly used for washing, rinsing dishes, hands, and quicky showers/rinse downs.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I have been thinking of doing this to my trailer, as I start to redo the inside, thought it would be great to add in some water.
I think i have a UP TO of 3’ wide by 5’ long and 3-5” high area I could use, but I want baffles to keep water from sloshing around. Haven’t found the tank I am looking for.

Last edited:

Hysteria

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a 21gal tank and water pump on my M416 build. I keep it in the tub. Works well as long as temperatures are a over freezing.
I have the same tank in my m416 (mine has a top on it) and insulated the tank with rigid foam and then put a 12v RV tank heating pad under it. Runs off the trailer batteries and keeps it from freezing at night.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I've had good luck getting tanks off of Ebay in the past.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
850 gallons? That's 3 tonnes...?

We carry a 44 L Frontrunner tank across the floor behind the front (and only) seats, when we're on a "big trip".

lugantom

Rank III

Pathfinder II

Peru, IL
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jagiella
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9PTL
Service Branch
USMC

I have an M416 military surplus trailer. I use four (4) five (5) gallon jerry cans, one in each corner of the trailer. Two are old steel military surplus cans - I use those for non-potable water. Two are plastic Scepter plastic cans - I use those for potable water. So far it has worked out. I use the non-potable for dishwashing, showers, etc. I use the potable for cooking, drinking, etc. More water is more weight, so I'm happy with this approach. If I'm ever in the desert I may grab a couple of more cans.

I like to winter camp, so I also bought a couple of military surplus jerry can insulated blankets/covers. They have worked out nicely.

Reactions: jeepers29

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
@Purpony are you still needing a tank? i used to design hydroponics and used tanks up to 300 gal and i used US Plastics who has a great selection. i have a 5x8 camp trailer with a 30 gal tank. that is a decent size that lasts the two of us for a few days. if you have the room, go with a 30 gal and you just dont have to fill it up all the way if you dont need to. might be nice to have the extra 10 gal versus a 20 gal tank. only thing i noticed is that my tank has a flange around it and that sits in between the frame members and when full, the bottom bows out a LOT. i took ratchet straps and made an X under the tank to give the bottom support. i'm sure it was designed to hold OK, but with bouncing and rough roads, i really wanted that bottom support. you will need a drain on the bottom, so i would find one with a drain port molded in at the bottom versus getting a drain kit and doing it yourself...doing it after is a better chance of leaking.
good luck with your build!