Launch Member

Advocate III

Morro Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gravender
Member #

I had a need to work on my Smittybilt SRC Roof Rack on my TJ. When I took it off there was a significant amount of water that was in the rear uprights. That conerns me a bit from a rust perspective as the water was quite brown when I poured it out. Has anybody else drilled some weep holes in the bottom of the rack to allow this water to escape?

Reactions: SubeeBen

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Haven’t taken the rack off of mine but now you have me wondering as I have the same rack on my Jku. Should be an easy fix though as you stated with weep holes @ front & rear upright mounting points. Thanks for the post. & of course it’s pouring rain in San Diego today. Ha ha.

Adventure Dave

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morro Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gravender
Member #

I looked at the front and it is open at the bottom so not a problem. The back is sealed after the curve. I’m driving them out this afternoon. Rained here this morning so I’m sure I’ll find water in there.

Adventure Dave

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morro Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gravender
Member #

I just finished making the weep holes and indeed there was water in the rack. It turned pretty brown at the end so I’m sure it was causing rust on the inside of the pipes. I took a video but can’t seem to figure out how to post it here.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Lovely. I opted to mount my rack using the body mounts so I’m just going to drill some weep holes & should be good. FYI not sure what size holes you drilled. But in my line of work anything less than 1/4” will not allow water to exit. Surface tension. Kind of like when you can fill a glass to the point of overflowing & the water holds to the point when it is actually higher than the top of the glass. If that makes any sense. But I know for a fact anything less than 1/4” will not drain.

Adventure Dave

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morro Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gravender
Member #

I emailed Smittybilt about it. They said a few customers have had the same issue. They suggested drilling a hole and hitting it with some paint.