Rank II

Contributor III

Troy, Pike County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Davies
Member #

So I have a tank built into my truck with a 12v pump supplying the water from a port in the bed it works great, the only issue I have is when it runs dry on a trip. Any ideas on the best way to get water up to the fill neck? Preferably filtered to drinking level en route to the tank. The plan would be to be able to park near a creek or river and throw something in the water to then fill the tank on the go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So you want a 2nd pump to run the stream water thru the filters on the way to the tank. Using the existing pressure system introduces "dirty" water to the distribution system.

And you could install a tee in the fill neck, or port it directly into the tank with a second "fill port" and have the filters/pump in that line. I'm thinking since the fill pump will be in suction mode it will need to be larger than the pressure pump. And suction pumps only lift a few feet so the in stream foot needs to be as close to the truck as possible. Best if you can park in the stream.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I always carry an MSR water purifier. It is a hand pump and works fantastic. I do it into the MSR bladders but im sure you could work it into a water can or something to fill your tank. Can use it from any water source and make the water drinkable.

Reactions: Gtd3692

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Get one of those gravity fed filter bags and just hang it over the tank. You can also rig something up using a RV pump and a Sawyer filter with some flexible PVC tubing and just break it out when you need it. Put a pre filter on the suction end that goes in the water to protect the pump and increase the life of the filter.

Gtd3692

Rank II

Contributor III

Troy, Pike County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Davies
Member #

So you want a 2nd pump to run the stream water thru the filters on the way to the tank. Using the existing pressure system introduces "dirty" water to the distribution system.

And you could install a tee in the fill neck, or port it directly into the tank with a second "fill port" and have the filters/pump in that line. I'm thinking since the fill pump will be in suction mode it will need to be larger than the pressure pump. And suction pumps only lift a few feet so the in stream foot needs to be as close to the truck as possible. Best if you can park in the stream.
Great idea thank you!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Get one of those gravity fed filter bags and just hang it over the tank. You can also rig something up using a RV pump and a Sawyer filter with some flexible PVC tubing and just break it out when you need it. Put a pre filter on the suction end that goes in the water to protect the pump and increase the life of the filter.
A paint filter/cheesecloth/funnel into the gravity filter maybe with a bucket/pail? I have a gravity filter that holds about 2 gallons?? No ideer how long it takes to filter. Could take a while for 10 gallons or so. Low tech though.

Sez 2L/min. So, not that long!

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs