Newport News, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
I'm trying to think through basic needs for about a week of off-grid travel.

Would love feedback from those that do this much more than I do.

How do you ensure that you have enough water?

I always carry iodine tablets and, recently, added some life straws to the kit, but have not thought through storage solutions.

Do you rely upon planning for water stops? Either from nature when you purify / sterilize; or from some small community stops?

Or, do you carry A LOT of water with you?

Or, do you plan a combination?

Thank you for any insight!

walkabout_ca

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Bay Area, California, USA
First Name
Gwendolyn
Last Name
vdL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YFJ
We carry a 20L regular jerrycan and a 20L lifesaver jerrycan. It’s enough for the two of us for a week, and we have the option to filter extra water if we need to. But since we like to camp in the desert we’re not counting on access to streams etc., hence two jerrycans.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have a Lifesaver and 2 other hard plastic 20L Jerry cans. For the majority of our travels we only used the 2 20L Jerry cans. 40L is only about 5 days for us so if we were going to be out in the bush for a week we’d fill the lifesaver too. We rarely use our water to bathe and just find natural sources to fill buckets to take far enough away to prevent water contamination. We did travel for about a year filtering water with the Lifesaver but we were out of the US, in the US getting potable water is easy. Once you start using a Lifesaver the filter needs to be kept wet so it can become a pain if you don’t actually need to filter water (and expensive to replace). We cut an old filter all the way down to the neck to use the container as a regular water storage Jerry can, we carry a new filter if we ever need it in an emergency. We have dedicated storage spots for all three Jerry cans but if we were just going to do a one off week long trip or trial run, we’d probably just get several collapsable 5 gallon containers (which are also good to have around the house as part of the emergency kit).

If you will be moving frequently and will be traveling through developed areas, getting water is usually pretty easy. Many gas stations have available taps and reverse osmosis machines are in lots of grocery stores these days if that’s what you prefer. Worst case you make a new friend by asking if you can fill up at their house, business, whatever. Under those circumstances you could probably get by with a single 5-7 gallon container. If you are truly going to remain off grid in the backcountry then calculate your daily water needs and look into any available sources on your route. You already will have the tablets and lifestraw as emergency back-ups so it’ll come down to availability. We’re in a 1 ton so the extra 40lbs isn’t that big of deal.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

I always carry iodine tablets and, recently, added some life straws to the kit, but have not thought through storage solutions.

Do you rely upon planning for water stops? Either from nature when you purify / sterilize; or from some small community stops?

On anything longer than an overnighter I put the Front Runner footwell water tank in the XJ. It's 11 gallons. More than I've ever used before, either hitting civilization for gas or coming across a water source I could filter if I really needed to.

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
On anything longer than an overnighter I put the Front Runner footwell water tank in the XJ. It's 11 gallons. More than I've ever used before, either hitting civilization for gas or coming across a water source I could filter if I really needed to.
I feel you. If I were solo, it would be an easier problem set. I would set up with two adults, a child, and two dogs. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I feel you. If I were solo, it would be an easier problem set. I would set up with two adults, a child, and two dogs. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.
What climate you gonna be in? If the desert take ALL the water. If near lake, stream, river, fresh water take what you’re comfortable with, and maybe consider a large Sawyer gravity filtration system. Our family of 4 goes to the desert for 3-5 days with 2gal per day total for drinking, 1 gal for food etc, no bathing, all wipes on days 3-5. We have filled water bottles for everyone, 2x3L camelbacks in emergency packs and filled 1L nalgene’s in each kids pack.

After living in Vegas and moving to the PNW, I appreciate the access to water. The desert is a blast, but just a dash of extra planning always kept us sane. I’ve learned to gauge my water allotment by my mental state; if I’m comfortable and feel good, I have a ton. If I’m worried that if we break down and can’t last twice the amount of time we’re supposed to be out for, I have just enough. Last thing you want to be doing while driving through the desert at night with your family is worrying about how much water you have and where the nearest source is. Last but not least for the desert, 2 metal cups, 2x10’ plastic sheet emergency shelters, orange is what I use. You can grab a ton of scrub brush and make solar stills, if you’re proper f’d. Best of luck!

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
What climate you gonna be in? If the desert take ALL the water. If near lake, stream, river, fresh water take what you’re comfortable with, and maybe consider a large Sawyer gravity filtration system. Our family of 4 goes to the desert for 3-5 days with 2gal per day total for drinking, 1 gal for food etc, no bathing, all wipes on days 3-5. We have filled water bottles for everyone, 2x3L camelbacks in emergency packs and filled 1L nalgene’s in each kids pack.

After living in Vegas and moving to the PNW, I appreciate the access to water. The desert is a blast, but just a dash of extra planning always kept us sane. I’ve learned to gauge my water allotment by my mental state; if I’m comfortable and feel good, I have a ton. If I’m worried that if we break down and can’t last twice the amount of time we’re supposed to be out for, I have just enough. Last thing you want to be doing while driving through the desert at night with your family is worrying about how much water you have and where the nearest source is. Last but not least for the desert, 2 metal cups, 2x10’ plastic sheet emergency shelters, orange is what I use. You can grab a ton of scrub brush and make solar stills, if you’re proper f’d. Best of luck!
Great advice! Thank you. I had forgotten about solar stills! I remember them taking forever to produce, but water is water. Adding black trash bags to my load out lol.

I have never done desert camping, and even on my "plush" environments, I've always been solo. I'm definitely used to having an abundance of shelter and fire building material; and always try to find a sustainable water source. I just know that my wife would get tired of iodine after awhile.

Sounds like I should plan to carry what I need; but plan for emergency water sources as well.

Thank you so much for everyone's wisdom!

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
We have a Lifesaver and 2 other hard plastic 20L Jerry cans. For the majority of our travels we only used the 2 20L Jerry cans. 40L is only about 5 days for us so if we were going to be out in the bush for a week we’d fill the lifesaver too. We rarely use our water to bathe and just find natural sources to fill buckets to take far enough away to prevent water contamination. We did travel for about a year filtering water with the Lifesaver but we were out of the US, in the US getting potable water is easy. Once you start using a Lifesaver the filter needs to be kept wet so it can become a pain if you don’t actually need to filter water (and expensive to replace). We cut an old filter all the way down to the neck to use the container as a regular water storage Jerry can, we carry a new filter if we ever need it in an emergency. We have dedicated storage spots for all three Jerry cans but if we were just going to do a one off week long trip or trial run, we’d probably just get several collapsable 5 gallon containers (which are also good to have around the house as part of the emergency kit).

If you will be moving frequently and will be traveling through developed areas, getting water is usually pretty easy. Many gas stations have available taps and reverse osmosis machines are in lots of grocery stores these days if that’s what you prefer. Worst case you make a new friend by asking if you can fill up at their house, business, whatever. Under those circumstances you could probably get by with a single 5-7 gallon container. If you are truly going to remain off grid in the backcountry then calculate your daily water needs and look into any available sources on your route. You already will have the tablets and lifestraw as emergency back-ups so it’ll come down to availability. We’re in a 1 ton so the extra 40lbs isn’t that big of deal.
Perfect advice as well! I think I was under estimating availability at "travel-thru" stops as well!

Personally, I would love to be VERY remote, but I will have to build the family up to that.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Perfect advice as well! I think I was under estimating availability at "travel-thru" stops as well!

Personally, I would love to be VERY remote, but I will have to build the family up to that.
You'll get them there. Nothing like a personal hot spring to convince the family how nice it is to get way out there (or being alone camped along a river, lake, etc), at least to us. I also noticed you said you'd be using the interstate. Many rest areas have water spigots. Once you start looking for them you will notice they are all over the place. Some city/county parks have started putting locks on them but overall we never have had an issue locating water. We do buy it in grocery stores sometimes, one place all chores, to limit our time in 'civilization' so we can get away back out there. We've also stopped in Forest Campgrounds, we have an annual NP Pass, and have filled up there. If in doubt, just ask. We've only been told no once by a very unhappy camp host, no worries, the next place didn't care.

Reactions: LRFam1718

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Great advice! Thank you. I had forgotten about solar stills! I remember them taking forever to produce, but water is water. Adding black trash bags to my load out lol.

I have never done desert camping, and even on my "plush" environments, I've always been solo. I'm definitely used to having an abundance of shelter and fire building material; and always try to find a sustainable water source. I just know that my wife would get tired of iodine after awhile.

Sounds like I should plan to carry what I need; but plan for emergency water sources as well.

Thank you so much for everyone's wisdom!
Yeah you’re in a bad spot if you’re solar stilling. Lol. Hopefully none of us ever gets there. Best of luck, enjoy!!!

Reactions: LRFam1718

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I think a lot of people do this. I think people really underestimate how much civilization there is in the United States. Even if I had to buy gallon jugs to refill my tank at a remote gas station, I would be out maybe 20 dollars. Even when I traveled by motorcycle more often, living off the bike for a month at a time, I never felt like I was going to run out of water.

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Depends greatly on where you're traveling. If you're crossing the Central Kalahari for instance it's 750 mi between water points (and even then that water isn't potable). We usually work on at least 3l (0,79 gal) per person per day for washing yourself and dishes etc. and then additional drinking water (around 2l (0,5 gal) per person per day depending on where you're going again).

If you're close to civilisation and/or have access to water at camp you obviously don't have to carry that much water. Enough for the daily drinking water requirement and maybe a filtration system (like LifeSaver)

Reactions: KAIONE

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OP stated about a week of off grid travel. That’s just about what we are good for, 5-7 days off grid then finding a place to re-supply with gas, water & food. We have a pair of Frontrunner tanks in the trailer plumbed together for 20 gallons. We came close to running out once after 8 days out. We have another tank in the tow vehicle for 12 more gallons dedicated for the shower. If necessary we can drink the shower water. We also have a purification kit from MSR, just in case. If we really had to ration the water it seems to me that we have enough for 2 weeks or so, but that would mean skipping my showers every third day and my wife skipping her every other day rinses. You’ll do fine with 20 gallons provided there are no showers and you are careful how you use it.

Reactions: KAIONE

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i saw a thing on tv years back where a guy was remote and needed water. he set a trap and caught a monkey. he feed the monkey salt and let it get really thirsty and then turned it loose and followed it to water...

ive been holding on to that piece of info for years just-in-case...

Last edited:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

i saw a thing on tv years back where a guy was remote and needed water. he set a trap and caught a monkey. he feed the monkey salt and let it get really thirsty and then turned it loose and followed it to water...

ive been holding on to that piece of info for years just-in-case...
I’m glad there’s a ton of monkeys running around central Oregon, makes it that much easier to find water. Great tip!!

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I saw this on a jeep in town. Thought it a great idea, just like the metal $$$’s tanks, but a ton cheaper with filler and spigot points. Wonder how much water it holds. I’m building one this week. Will post more when I do.

Maybe not, just saw the price of pipe pieces and extensions, lmao.

Attachments

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I saw this on a jeep in town. Thought it a great idea, just like the metal $$$’s tanks, but a ton cheaper with filler and spigot points. Wonder how much water it holds. I’m building one this week. Will post more when I do.

Maybe not, just saw the price of pipe pieces and extensions, lmao.
I did the math one time on a 4 or 5in ABS pipe on the roof of my XJ 6 feet long. IIRC it was around 4 or 5 gallons. Keep in mind that black ABS pipe isn't really supposed to be pressurized, so be easy with the pressure.

Reactions: KILO19