Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Hello everyone!

I had issues with my Superwinch recently. My issue was partly my fault but also partly the product too. Normally I would have done this kind of video, but I feel as a community that spends a lot of hard earned money on these products that people should be warned about what’s going on before making a purchased. Here is what happened.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I had a similar customer service experience with Superwinch, back in 2009.

I just installed a brand new EPi9.0 on my TJ and the winch died spooling the rope in under tension. Coincidentally I also spoke with "Jason" at Superwinch customer support (I do not remember folks easily, but this guy made an impression). It took a few weeks, but he did ship me a new motor for the winch. The motor I received was for a 8.5 series winch. Upon contacting Superwinch about acquiring the proper part, my inquiries fell on deaf ears. I posted my frustrations on an online forum and a member, who happened to know someone in charge at Superwinch, passed on my frustrations. The next day I had a winch overnighted to me with a return label for my busted unit. That replacement winch has been on the front of my TJ since then and has been flawless. The fairlead, wire rope and plugs all look great and work great to this day.

That said, I do not believe the mechanical issues you have had with the winch is the fault of Superwinch per se. They seem like user error as you mentioned in the video.

Superwinch is undergoing a sale to Westin, see below:

Effective February 22, 2019, Superwinch Group, Inc. ceased operations in Portland, OR. However, this is not the end of the Superwinch brand. Westin Automotive Products, Inc., headquartered in San Dimas, CA, is in the process of acquiring specific assets, IP rights, and branding of SUPERWINCH. Westin looks forward to re-establishing the Superwinch brand’s business relationships with our automotive and industrial partners and is eager to integrate SUPERWINCH with the Westin family of products.

During the transition process, SUPERWINCH will be unable to accept new orders, process warranty claims, or make inventory transactions of any kind. Customer service coverage may be limited as well, but we will do our best to respond to customer inquiries in a timely manner. We would like to thank our loyal customers for standing by us through this process and hope to one day meet and exceed your expectations for the standards our brand has established over its many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I had a similar customer service experience with Superwinch, back in 2009.

I just installed a brand new EPi9.0 on my TJ and the winch died spooling the rope in under tension. Coincidentally I also spoke with "Jason" at Superwinch customer support (I do not remember folks easily, but this guy made an impression). It took a few weeks, but he did ship me a new motor for the winch. The motor I received was for a 8.5 series winch. Upon contacting Superwinch about acquiring the proper part, my inquiries fell on deaf ears. I posted my frustrations on an online forum and a member, who happened to know someone in charge at Superwinch, passed on my frustrations. The next day I had a winch overnighted to me with a return label for my busted unit. That replacement winch has been on the front of my TJ since then and has been flawless. The fairlead, wire rope and plugs all look great and work great to this day.

That said, I do not believe the mechanical issues you have had with the winch is the fault of Superwinch per se. They seem like user error as you mentioned in the video.

Superwinch is undergoing a sale to Westin, see below:
Yea I am just not impressed with the service anymore.

I did indicate the the failed parts where of my own doing. However, I will say that the used warn cable I have is far superior in quality.

It wasn’t that the parts failed that was my issue. It was the customer service and the fact that they gave no help at all in the situation. I wasn’t looking for warranty or trying to get them to pay for anything. I was simply trying to track down parts for there product.

I will say that other than a few mistakes I have made, the winch has been great.

But I will no longer be a customer of superwinch.

Oh and I know that they are undergoing a sale now. But at the time all I got was a “we can’t help you right now” from tech support.

Reactions: KonzaLander

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Superwinch was just bought out by Westin.