Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

looking to get a winch this summer, years ago I was looking at the Warn 9.5CTI, and now looking at the Warn Zeon 10-Platium and the Warn Zeon 10-S.

I guess the big difference is that clutch is electronic in the Platinum and a few extras. How importing is it to have the electronic clutch? I know a friend who has the 9.5CTI and to move the clutch one it took quite a bit of force with a pair of pliers. Is this an on going isle with moving the clutch? Or has Warn updated since the CTI line to make a clutch easier to move with the road abuse/salt?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92136_0203_07.htm

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92136_0221_07.htm

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

The remote clutch is great for hidden winch mounting systems. If you can get to the clutch lever, save yourself the money.

The Zeon clutch levers are larger than the little levers of the past but if you needed a pair of pliers to turn it, the winch was in a bind or needed to be serviced.

Reactions: Kent R

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

The remote clutch is great for hidden winch mounting systems. If you can get to the clutch lever, save yourself the money.

The Zeon clutch levers are larger than the little levers of the past but if you needed a pair of pliers to turn it, the winch was in a bind or needed to be serviced.

so having to use a pair of pliers is normal for moving the clutch?

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

so having to use a pair of pliers is normal for moving the clutch?
No, You shouldnt need a pair of pliers to move the clutch. IF you needed pliers, the internals were in a load-induced bind or needed serviced(greased).

A lot of people will store the winch in a bind... pull the hook/cable back in until the winch bogs and let off the trigger. Its not good on the system. You want it just tight enough to not let the hook rattle.

A winch does take on a lot of road grime/debris. It needs to be cleaned and serviced every so often, just like the rest of your vehicle. Its not a "bolt it on and forget about it until you need it" item

Reactions: Road

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

No, You shouldnt need a pair of pliers to move the clutch. IF you needed pliers, the internals were in a load-induced bind or needed serviced(greased).

A lot of people will store the winch in a bind... pull the hook/cable back in until the winch bogs and let off the trigger. Its not good on the system. You want it just tight enough to not let the hook rattle.

A winch does take on a lot of road grime/debris. It needs to be cleaned and serviced every so often, just like the rest of your vehicle. Its not a "bolt it on and forget about it until you need it" item
ok thanks

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
You should not have an issue with the Zeon. Big beefy clutch lever and smooth turning gears. The quality is quite apparent on these if you’re coming from anything else.

Reactions: TerryD

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I would say keep the winch as simple as possible and avoid electronic clutches. A winch is relied on once everything else has some how gone wrong, a simple lever to turn will always work reliably.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I would say keep the winch as simple as possible and avoid electronic clutches. A winch is relied on once everything else has some how gone wrong, a simple lever to turn will always work reliably.
I think of this every time I roll down my window with the handle in my Jeep and my wife has to replace another window motor in her Lexus.