Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
When the speed limit is 65, do you drive 65? 75? 80? 85? In Overlanding, we're always talking about "It's the journey". Instead of rushing to get to the trail, let your journey start when you leave the house, AND get up to 25% better gas mileage...
IMG_4830.PNG
(compared to 55mph)

What do you do, to maximize fuel economy?

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If you don't already, you need to take advantage of the Gas Buddy App...

IMG_4845.jpg
Finds the cheapest gas in your area, or along your route. Probably saves me enough to compensate for running big ass tires ;-)

Last edited:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I play around with this a lot, my fj gets the best mileage at 65 mph. I also dont put anything on my roof unless I have too. It's nice to put the boxes on the roof when i need space in the fj, but i lose 2mpg.

Reactions: RaggedViking

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

If you don't already, you need to take advantage of the Gas Buddy App...

View attachment 9488
Finds the cheapest gas in your area, or along your route. Probably saves me enough to compensate for running big ass tires ;-)
I use gas buddy every time I fill. I also keep a stack of 5 n 7 cent coupons in my wallet. by using those two things and picking the right station, I can end up saving as much as 20 cents a gallon instead of just stopping at the closest spot. Today? Station across the street is $2.08, station up the road is $2.01 and I have a 7 cent off per gallon coupon.

TylerC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

I wish I lived in the States. Gas here is pretty consistently around $1/L. That's comparable to about $3.05 US/gal.

At $2.01 it would be comparable to about $.66/L. Gas hasn't been that low since I was in high school in 2000.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Or, you can do like me, drive a $700 econobox and leave your rig parked most of the week.

Truck gets 15ish MPG, Beater gets close to 30MPG... If I drive the beater to work once a week I save enough in fuel to pay for the extra insurance.

Reactions: Kelly

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I wish I lived in the States. Gas here is pretty consistently around $1/L. That's comparable to about $3.05 US/gal.

At $2.01 it would be comparable to about $.66/L. Gas hasn't been that low since I was in high school in 2000.
I did a lot of driving in Copenhagen and Sweden and the gas prices always boggled me. We Americans don't convert well on the fly!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I did a lot of driving in Copenhagen and Sweden and the gas prices always boggled me. We Americans don't convert well on the fly!
The times I've been in Poland, I've found the public transit system to be inexpensive ( less than a dollar for a trolley ticket) and well thought out. Strange to spend 3 weeks somewhere and never get behind the wheel once though...

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@Reconnoiter great to point out. "We didn't by them for the mileage" that being said, I drive based on load of the vehicle. A balance between RPM/Gear/Speed/Torque converter lock. I don't want the engine to scream or trans to search and keep trying to lock climbing a grade or a head wind. It's a brick , I kick it down. The FJ likes 1800/2200 steady locked.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

The times I've been in Poland, I've found the public transit system to be inexpensive ( less than a dollar for a trolley ticket) and well thought out. Strange to spend 3 weeks somewhere and never get behind the wheel once though...
I never understood why we didn't take the train from Copenhagen into Sweden where we were working. Both stations could be seen from where we were staying and working - and once we got there, we walked everywhere! But I'll tell you what, there's nothing like driving those backroads in the middle of winter!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I never understood why we didn't take the train from Copenhagen into Sweden where we were working. Both stations could be seen from where we were staying and working - and once we got there, we walked everywhere! But I'll tell you what, there's nothing like driving those backroads in the middle of winter!
For sure. My wife is from Poland so we go every few years to visit family. Most times while in the city, we only get in a car to go to or from the airport. the trolley or your own feet get you there. I also noticed the only people who drive trucks are people who use the truck for a job. Everyone else drives smaller 4 door cars with a stick and a diesel engine.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

For sure. My wife is from Poland so we go every few years to visit family. Most times while in the city, we only get in a car to go to or from the airport. the trolley or your own feet get you there. I also noticed the only people who drive trucks are people who use the truck for a job. Everyone else drives smaller 4 door cars with a stick and a diesel engine.
It was a sea of Volvo and VW wagons with big Hella lights!! And those folks knew how to drive in the snow!!!