VT/NH Overnight Trip

• HTML tutorial

JoeJLUR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield, CT, USA
Member #

Looking to plan a quick overnight trip somewhere in VT or NH. Any trail or waterfront camping suggestions? I’m located in lower Fairfield County in CT. I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with a CVT RTT.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

A little more than just an overnight. I've done some parts of it and love the backroads it puts you on. No real woods trails on this yet puts you in some nice areas of NH. I have the gpx of this if you want it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 6.51.55 AM.png

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

VT has something similar (haven't done any of this yet). This is a portion of a much longer run going from PA into Maine (Jackman I believe).

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 6.56.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 6.58.37 AM.png

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Are any of these routes safe for solo or single-vehicle adventure? I'm traveling with a lightly modified Wrangler.

JoeJLUR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield, CT, USA
Member #

Send back a report on it please.
Will do. We are going to do a little different route. Some roads overlap. We are planning on starting at the Dorset Caves and then heading into the forest via Kelley Stand Road and FR 71. Ending up around Grout Pond.

JoeJLUR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield, CT, USA
Member #

Send back a report on it please.
Just got back from an awesome weekend in southern VT. Ended up driving up to Freedley Quarry in Dorset to explore the caves and then headed down to the Grout Pond area to camp. It was very crowded in Green Mountain National Forest, but we were able to get a dispersed camping site right off of FR71. There seems to be a lot of Jeep trails in the area, but many seemed to be blocked off. Planning on going up for an extended trip soon so we can scout out the area. Let me know if you have a questions about the area.

Reactions: RJ Howell and LGlx

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just got back from an awesome weekend in southern VT. Ended up driving up to Freedley Quarry in Dorset to explore the caves and then headed down to the Grout Pond area to camp. It was very crowded in Green Mountain National Forest, but we were able to get a dispersed camping site right off of FR71. There seems to be a lot of Jeep trails in the area, but many seemed to be blocked off. Planning on going up for an extended trip soon so we can scout out the area. Let me know if you have a questions about the area.
Did you track your run? If for nothing else than building routes it's well worth doing. You can edit out the parts that didn't work or notate accordingly.

Great to hear it was a good run!

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Is this a solo-friendly trip or you'll need a spotter and buddy vehicle just in case rescue is needed (or likely needed). I have a JLUR with 2.5" lift on 35's. There are many times my buddies schedule does not match with mine.

JoeJLUR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield, CT, USA
Member #

Is this a solo-friendly trip or you'll need a spotter and buddy vehicle just in case rescue is needed (or likely needed). I have a JLUR with 2.5" lift on 35's. There are many times my buddies schedule does not match with mine.
It definitely can be solo friendly, but I always recommend off roading with at least 1 other person. There are endless amounts of class 4 roads in VT and some of them can get pretty technical. The forest roads and most of the Dorset caves are solo friend.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
My Gf and I are planning our first dispersed camping trip in a few weekends to Vermont. I was planning on starting at an on-road leg from art 9 going up Somerset Rd (along the Deerfield river)to Forest Rd 71. If we are still looking for more adventure I was thinking of continuing more north to Stratton Rd for a couple more miles of forest roads.

We will be in my ‘17 Tacoma and off road camper-trailer.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

JoeJLUR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield, CT, USA
Member #

My Gf and I are planning our first dispersed camping trip in a few weekends to Vermont. I was planning on starting at an on-road leg from art 9 going up Somerset Rd (along the Deerfield river)to Forest Rd 71. If we are still looking for more adventure I was thinking of continuing more north to Stratton Rd for a couple more miles of forest roads.

We will be in my ‘17 Tacoma and off road camper-trailer.
Any suggestions?
Our dispersed campsite was right off FR-71. There are quite a few sites around there, but it was extremely crowded when we went up there. I guess everyone is trying to get away with lockdown ending. I would definitely check out Grout Pond. It's a beautiful lake/pond for fishing, swimming, or boating. They have campsites there, but you need to reserve in advanced. If you are looking for some fairly easy trails you can take a ride 45 minutes NW and head to Freedley Quarry. We did some exploring up there with our Wrangler. Enjoy your trip!

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Our dispersed campsite was right off FR-71. There are quite a few sites around there, but it was extremely crowded when we went up there. I guess everyone is trying to get away with lockdown ending. I would definitely check out Grout Pond. It's a beautiful lake/pond for fishing, swimming, or boating. They have campsites there, but you need to reserve in advanced. If you are looking for some fairly easy trails you can take a ride 45 minutes NW and head to Freedley Quarry. We did some exploring up there with our Wrangler. Enjoy your trip!
We just finished a 5 day trip. The first two days we used HIPCAMP and stayed at the Beer Naked Brewery for some excellent beer and pizza!
We then went up to FR 71 and stayed at a couple different sites along there. We did a 6 mile day hike at Jamaica State Park to the waterfalls which was a great hike. All roads we were on were minivan or sedan friendly (although the entrances to the campsites on FR71 were a little muddy, with a little planning and momentum they would be manageable).

Reactions: breyton490