Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Llenos
Member #

I’ll be attending the overland rally on canada right after our trip to Mt Baker. It will be our first time visiting Canada and I read how strict they are against any forms of weapons. Any suggestions on where to deposit hand guns, knives before we enter BC?
Thanks!

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Unless they have changed the rules of Vehicle Inspection, before entry - Lock them in the Glove-box, don't declare and don't display. We have driven into Canada numerous times, and have never been asked about firearms. Upon your return to the States they'll ask to see your passport.
We are flying from Boise to Vancouver, and renting an SUV to travel up to Whistler. I'll visit an extended Cousin in Vancouver on Sunday before flying back to Boise. What type of vehicle will you be camping in, I'll try to find you. David

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Lock them in the Glove-box, don't declare and don't display. We have driven into Canada numerous times, and have never been asked about firearms.
I don't recommend taking that chance. Cars do periodically get inspected going either direction over the border. If you get caught entering Canada with a firearm that has not been declared, it will be destroyed, you pay a fine, and you might do time behind bars.

Read more here: https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/

You are better off declaring the firearm but you must have a "valid reason" for bringing one over. I don't know what constitutes a "valid reason" but I don't imagine "feeling safe at the mall" is one of them.

Reactions: SG MD

SG MD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Llenos
Member #

Unless they have changed the rules of Vehicle Inspection, before entry - Lock them in the Glove-box, don't declare and don't display. We have driven into Canada numerous times, and have never been asked about firearms. Upon your return to the States they'll ask to see your passport.
We are flying from Boise to Vancouver, and renting an SUV to travel up to Whistler. I'll visit an extended Cousin in Vancouver on Sunday before flying back to Boise. What type of vehicle will you be camping in, I'll try to find you. David
I’ll be in a Toyota Tundra with AT Summit topper. See you there!
I might just have to look for some place to deposit my hand gun. I’m not that lucky when it comes to random searches.

SG MD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Llenos
Member #

I don't recommend taking that chance. Cars do periodically get inspected going either direction over the border. If you get caught entering Canada with a firearm that has not been declared, it will be destroyed, you pay a fine, and you might do time behind bars.

Read more here: https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/

You are better off declaring the firearm but you must have a "valid reason" for bringing one over. I don't know what constitutes a "valid reason" but I don't imagine "feeling safe at the mall" is one of them.
Bummer that they also include knives and batons. [emoji31]

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Please do not do this. You have to declare all firearms when crossing into Canada, do your research and have correct paperwork, and can only bring firearms into Canada that are legal here. If you get caught trying to sneak any firearm into Canada you are rightfully fudged.
Bringing handguns across the border is pretty much a no-no for the most part. Up here our laws regarding handguns are quite "severe", I can only transport my handguns to the range, gunsmith, border crossings. We cannot freely carry handguns around, like we can with most rifles and shotguns. I have seen travelers bring shotguns across the border with no issue so long as they have the right paperwork (I do not know hat this paperwork is, but the information has to be on the Canadian border services website somewhere)

I'm all for having a firearm in the back-country, I never travel into the bushes camping or exploring without one up here. Having said that, if your intentions are to just come up for the Rally then head home.....it is unlikely you will be in a position to need a firearm anyways. I'd just leave it at home, or in a locker somewhere on the Stateside.

Edit - This may sound petty, but up here we fight hard to maintain, keep, and increase the gun rights that we have. Anyone who is caught coming into Canada with an undeclared gun ends up being added to the number of "illegal guns coming into Canada" list which the anti-gun political community here is more than happy to use as ammunition to try to degrade, or remove alltogether our rights even further. (Rant over)

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
You could have been trying to illustrate Cunningham's Law here, as I see a lot of people have jumped on this and I hate to add to it, but I don't think those have ever been the rules, at least not since I have memory of crossing the border (early 1990s). It may have been what folks used to get away with, but in this day and age that is a risky game of roulette and I'd encourage everyone to not to do that today. Canada and the USA are very similar in a lot of ways, but the attitude towards Firearms is NOT one of those ways. I do not wish to start a political debate on this as I think Overlanding has lots of room for perspectives for and against firearms ownership (perspectives that are unlikely to change!), but I will tell readers a bit about our legislation so that folks can understand just how different it is up here.

- To own a firearm in Canada, you need a federal license. This license requires you to accept that the police will search you in a criminal activity database every single day for the rest of your life. If anything is flagged, your license can be revoked and all firearms confiscated. This basic license is for owning guns typical of hunting -- rifles and shotguns only -- and most rifles are limited to 5 rounds in a magazine. Some rifles are prohibited (You can't own them at all) or restricted (like the AR-15). All pistols are either restricted or prohibited, regardless of caliber. If you own a firearm that is not reflected on your license, you go to jail.

- To own pistols (or AR-15 or any other 'restricted' class of firearm) in Canada, you need a special class of license. These are known as 'restricted' firearms. If you have a restricted weapon without the right license, you go to jail.

- Under new legislation, the government will be able to demand access to your entire life history - mental health, jobs, education, ex-lovers, etc. -- in order to decide if you meet their criteria to own a firearm. They used to look into all of that stuff anyway, but only up to the last 5 years. If you lie to them or withhold information, you could go to jail.
- Part of having a license includes safe storage of firearms in the home and during transport. They can never be loaded, always have to be locked in various ways, etc. depending on the class of firearm. If you are found not following these rules, you could go to jail.

- With either license, at any time the police can ask to inspect your firearms. This does not require a warrant or probable cause, just a knock on your door. If you deny them access, you will be arrested and you have just given them probable cause to tear the walls of your house open to see if you are hiding anything. Even if they find nothing, by denying them access you could go to jail.
- Under the law, you can only use restricted firearms at a designated range. You cannot even shoot your own pistols on your own property, even if you have a thousand acres to do it in. You can only bring your restricted firearms to and from the range in the most direct route possible. If you need to go anywhere else, you need to apply for a special permit to transport it for a specific date and location. And if you take an indirect route, say swing by a buddy's place to pick him up for the ride, you've just broken the law and...say it with me now....you go to jail.

- If you use your firearm in self defence you will go to jail, probably. In fact, recently in a case where that didn't happen, it was such an unusual event that the prime minister went on record saying that the system was broken -- that's the gun culture in Canada. So if this happens to you, and you shoot someone....you go to jail.

And for laughs, yes it reminds me of this guy from Parks and Rec:

There are many more details and restrictions, but above applies to Canadian citizens who are protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Our version of the Bill of Rights). As an American at the border, you have no rights at all. You will not simply be turned back as a "oopsie, won't do that again" -- if you are talking to a Canadian border officer, you are on Canadian soil. If caught, you will likely be arrested and charged with smuggling firearms across the border and you will likely face jail time. Even if they only suspect shenanigans, they may strip apart your vehicle looking for other weapons -- including all those fancy aftermarket mods and lift kits you made to your prized Overlanding rig -- leaving you and your bush toolkit to reassemble it all in the parking lot. And there is nothing you can do to stop that. Trying to stop them means....you go to jail!

In addition, you may find that you are never allowed to enter Canada again in the future. That is just the day-of the accidental smuggling attempt; who knows how long they detain you or how much you'd have to sink into court fees, legal costs, etc. just to bring a hunk of metal to the bush. And even if you are 'not guilty', you'll never freely cross the border again to any NATO democracy, thanks to the Five I's sharing information about the citizenry. You may be innocuously going on holiday 40 years from now, and what would normally be a 10 minute customs process can turn into a 'refusal of entry' or a delay of days. Not worth it just to bring a gun, I don't think.

And with all that being said, you won't need a gun here. Canada is an incredibly safe country and predators of all kinds are more effectively dealt with via a can of bear spray than they are with a gun. Caveat Emptor though -- using bear spray on a human turns it into a prohibited device, but it's legal in Canada for use against critters. I would wager that if you are in a situation where a gun would truly make a difference, the use of the spray is likely to be considered "reasonable force" and thus allowed in our self defence laws.

I have never had a problem with people in the backcountry in Canada, but I can see the concern because I have had run-ins regularly in the Lower 48. My theory is that most of the 'remote' places in the USA aren't really that remote - they are only ever 150 miles from a McDonalds, which means they are always reasonably close to a city. That combined with the 10x the population down there means a lot of the troubling backcountry behaviour is drugs or similar criminality -- Walter White Wannabes head to the nearest state forest to cook up some meth, so when Joe Overlander goes to get a cool shot for his Insta account, he ends up tangling with them and as they protect their cooking spot. You won't find much of that in Canada outside of the lower mainland of BC, southern Ontario, and small parts of Quebec, and the majority of it is marijuana which is less of an issue since legalization.

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks for all the comments, guys! If I cannot find a safe place to store my gun and knife then I’ll just leave it home.
I would check in the town on the US side what they have available. You may find there are business who are 2A friendly that will help. A guy I know used to simply ask nicely at a border hotel to hang on to it until he got back and the obliged by storing it in a safe.

John iowa

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Des Moines, IA, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kc0ram
I have legally transported firearms Into Canada multiple times without too much Hassle (some, but not to much)

Here is a link to the Canadian customs and border service agency

You will need to fill out a form ahead of time (don’t sign it until your at the border)

And know the legal reasons you can bring them into Canada. Self defense is not considered a valid reason, but defense against wildlife is if you will be in the back country.

Long guns like rifles and shotguns are easier than pistols

ARs and other semi auto rifles may be “prohibited”. Check the rules before you go.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I have legally transported firearms Into Canada multiple times without too much Hassle (some, but not to much)

Here is a link to the Canadian customs and border service agency

You will need to fill out a form ahead of time (don’t sign it until your at the border)

And know the legal reasons you can bring them into Canada. Self defense is not considered a valid reason, but defense against wildlife is if you will be in the back country.

Long guns like rifles and shotguns are easier than pistols

ARs and other semi auto rifles may be “prohibited”. Check the rules before you go.
To clarify one thing though, wilderness protection may be a valid reason for importing non-restricted long guns, but once it is imported a person needs to follow Canadian laws. That means locked and unloaded for transport, etc. To carry a restricted firearm for wilderness protection (And again, all pistols are restricted) you need a special permit from the RCMP, and they don't issue them often. A recent Freedom of Information Request showed that in all of Canada, only ONE permit to carry for protection was issued. The highest number of permits I've heard of is 24. To obtain one, you need to demonstrate that it's necessary for your occupation. For instance, if you are a trapper for livelihood, you may be issued a pistol carry permit to dispatch animals in traps, where a free hand is demonstrably necessary (otherwise you'll be told to use a long gun).

If you are found in the woods with a restricted firearm and no permit, you go to jail (Gotta keep the theme going).

For non-restricted firearms (rifles) you can carry them for wilderness protection, but be wary of provincial hunting regulations.

Reactions: SG MD

w2wlds

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairfield, IA, USA
First Name
RK
Last Name
C
Member #

Read more here: Bringing a Firearm into Canada | ezbordercrossing

I agree for what it's worth, I cross the border frequently (never carry weapons) but am often asked, and I can't imagine it will go well if it's undeclared.