Vision for starting local groups

• HTML tutorial

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Hello guys, I am in the infant stages of starting a long overdue local group in Santa Cruz / Monterey Counties. I have been very fortunate to be encouraged and mentored by my new friend Kent R from Sierra Overlanders. My question to you guys is, can you all expand on some ideas for the vision and activities for your groups. So far I understand the mission statement is to outfit and explore, but can I get ideas for trainings, topic for discussion at meet ups, destinations, how your meetings are conducted, documentation, leadership members, destinations etc. I'm very interested in the "nuts & bolts" of how other groups have become successful, active and healthy. I don't want to recreate the wheel and I have already been given excellent advice for a solid foundation, but I'm always curious to see how it's being done elsewhere.

In the spirit of adventure,
Dan

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@Sheepdog831

Dan - ran across this now that it's posted, and thought it might interest you as far as ideas for training and workshops. It's in .pdf form. Some good class descriptions being offered at SMOR.
Well well... I think I'll borrow this for the new Reno Overlanding group. Thanks for the .pdf @Road . It's helpful.

And @Sheepdog831, Kent R is a great resource. He's been instrumental in helping us launch the Reno group. Good luck on the new venture. Look forward to seeing your group on the trails.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@Sheepdog831 @HappyOurOverlanding

I'm glad you like the description sheet. Let it be a guide for ideas. Should go without saying, but please don't copy the descriptions verbatim. Come up with your own wording if running similar workshops. Copyright and all, important to respect.
No. Worries. All the info I've received from others is never used verbatim but altered to reflect local needs and wants. It's the ideas that are used. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Adventuredad530

Rank II

Contributor III

El Dorado County, California
First Name
William
Last Name
Adkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WROA857
Hi everyone, I'm new here and was looking for meet ups in my area, and seams that the closest one I found is in Cameron Park, or El Dorado Hills. I'm 35 minutes northeast of down town Placerville, Ca; and was needing to know if anyone knew of a group near Placerville, Ca.

If not perhaps I could start one. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and was looking for meet ups in my area, and seams that the closest one I found is in Cameron Park, or El Dorado Hills. I'm 35 minutes northeast of down town Placerville, Ca; and was needing to know if anyone knew of a group near Placerville, Ca.

If not perhaps I could start one. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I believe Sierra Foothills Group is near you. Reach out to @Kent R and he will give you all the particulars.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Here at the details of the Sierra Foothills Overlanders Meet-up. PM me if you need more info.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sierra-foothills-monthly-ob-meetup-11-21-2017.10663/

Reactions: Road

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Yup, Sierra Foothills would probably be your group. Look up Kent R. Good dude, he will help you!