Virginia Beach to Keystone Colorado - Off Interstate Camping (I64/I70/I40/I24)? July 2018

• HTML tutorial

BillB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chesapeake, Virginia
Member #

My son and I will take our third trip to Colorado from Virginia this summer (2014 FJ & 2011 Tacoma). We drive 8 to 10 hours a day over 3 or 4 days from Virginia Beach area to Colorado on I64 (or I40/I24) and then I70. The past two years, we splurge and spent a night in Nashville as our first stop and enjoy a night on Broadway (not this year). We also have stayed at a lot of road side Hampton Inns and Residence Inns on our drive out to the Ouray area. We hope to camp more this time and slow things down just a bit. Arriving at camp after dark is not as much fun. Driving shorter legs, about 8 hours.

I'm looking for recommendation for camping within an hour or two of the interstate. We can easily deviate our route to smaller roads for good camping spots.

This year, our destination is a family reunion in Keystone, Colorado where we plan to do some off road trails. (We have done most of Ouray area like Imogene Pass, Red Mining District, etc. and look forward to exploring roads around Keystone. )

Here is where we have stayed along the way in past years.

Wallace State Park, Cameron, MO - A bit too far off the interstate, but very nice
Clinton State Park, KS - Just okay
Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado Springs, CO - Absolutely perfect!

Recommendations for camping especially wanted for :
- I64 roughly between Western WV to Eastern KY
- I64 anywhere in KY worth seeing (Bourbon!) (We stayed in downtown Louisville two years ago)
- I70 St Louis to Kansas City area
- I70 Western Kansas / Eastern Colorado (Not optimistic, and it will be too hot) - Driving through KS is the worst.

Any gems between Virginia and Colorado?