[VIDEO] Steel Pass/Dedeckera Canyon - Death Valley NP

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

From my understanding Dedeckera Canyon (the beginning of this video) is part of Steel Pass as a whole, but I could be mistaken (and maybe one of you can clear that up). Regardless here's a video of it from a few weeks ago. Fun and beautiful trail with some minor technical areas in the beginning or end (depending on where you start).

Mark E

Rank VII

Inventor II

Manteca, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Elness
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YRY
Beautiful trail and nice video, too! The National Geographic DV map denotes them separately, but I believe Dedeckera Canyon is generally regarded as part of Steel Pass.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Looks like a great trail! Thanks for putting a fresh new item on my "to-do-list". Enjoyed your video so much.

My wife and I pulled off a 5+ week trip out west to and from Georgia in early Dec. '17 thru mid Jan '18 with a focal point being DVNP. We loved DV and invested 5 days of the trip but we only visited the southern part of the NP from Ballarat thru Mengle Pass via Goler Wash Rd. Thankfully the weather cooperated with excellent temps and no snow! We ended up exiting the park (making a resupply stop in Baker, CA) after spending a couple days down in the SW corner of the Park on Owl Hole Springs Rd. We got to listening to the owls hooting in the evenings and enjoying the small herds of wild burros coming to drink from the few small watering holes nearby.

Can't wait to get back out in the desert...

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I've been through Dedeckera/Steele half a dozen times and I've always considered Dedeckera canyon, and the stair steps there in, to be the start, or end, of the Steele Pass trail as a whole.

Check out the Piper Mtn. trail as an alternate access, or exit, point to the Eureka Valley, its remote and puts some more dirt under you....cool video.