Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

When out overlanding (or any remote activity) having the ability to either be tracked (for some fun, logging history or if the worse happens) or be able to send out a beacon should the need arise where you need help is always something people need to factor in when planning,

Using Sat phones (some iridium ones have GEOS ability) or using some other Sat tracker such as SPoT G3, is a valuable asset to have in your kit,

Like with most things, you can happily have the ability to share your tracks with people when out hiking when you've setup camp, on the other side of the coin you have that emergency assistance ability as well (some trackers have this as an additional service) - Key if you are in a country where there are huge distances involved and lack of communications via mobile phone ect

Think of it this way with a couple of examples, middle of Africa can record your track while doing a nature trail, you get a issue where your hired vehicle breaks down, you can send a pre-determined message to your "home point of contact" to raise assistance

It's not just limited to these kinds of places where it "appears" to be lacking in resource, even more established companies could potentially pose issues, think of the wild outbacks of Australia where it does take hours to reach anyone

Something worth while to consider :)

Kev

Reactions: Travis Barker

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I use the Spot Gen3 but the biggest drawback is your older waypoints, I think over 30 days are deleted so if you want to keep your tracks any longer you need to down load them or in my case I create an adventure with them on my Garmin.

It is only a small niggle but if you are not aware of it you can lose your history.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

ResQlink will be a new item for the trip my wife and I take this summer. Just an added measure of safety should it hit the fan in a bad way.

Reactions: AKBushDag

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I got the Spot a few years ago and it's been a great tool for backpacking and trips without cell service. Let's people at home know I'm ok during those trips and places like Baja.

Sat phones are very expensive, I've only known one guy that rented once a year for a hard multi day Offroad trail. We use sat phone during racing in Baja but that comes out of the company pocket and they are awesome push-to-talk radios.

If I'd do it again I would go with a Delorme inreach platform so I can send and receive msg as well as use it as a hand held gps.

cam_toyota_tech

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
If you have an amateur radio license, a few additional options are available for less reoccurring cost.

For position and basic messaging, Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) works well and allows me to automatically send my position to a publicly available map (http://aprs.fi/KU7PDX). I can also send & receive basic email and SMS messages to/from cell phones.

For voice communications, carrying a portable HF transceiver and a coil of wire should be enough to contact someone that can reach help if needed.

Upfront costs might be a bit more than InReach or other satellite services, but this equipment can also be utilized for other purposes and doesn't have any subscription fees.

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

ResQlink will be a new item for the trip my wife and I take this summer. Just an added measure of safety should it hit the fan in a bad way.
I used to sell PLS along with the Spot. IMHO, the PLB is the way to go. Others my like the Spot/Delorme INreach (no offense intended), as we all have our personal preferences. But having sold both, the PLB is a wise choice between the two.