Vancouver Island Trip

• HTML tutorial

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

Hello to all fellow members. I am planning a camping trip to Vancouver Island around Thanksgiving (US) week. Currently planning to cross from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, my questions:

Is this the best/fastest route to the Island coming from California? I cannot find a ferry from the US that can carry a vehicle.

Also looking for anypoints of interest and campsites that locals recommend. I have seen a few.

What kind of weather should I expect? Is there snow around the end of November?

And, if any members would like to meet up. That would be awesome. Thank you im advance.

WestCoast4x4

Rank III
Investor

Traveler III

Walnut Grove, BC, Canada
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BDM
Hi.. I think you are in for a good trip!! November has great storm watching along the west side of the island.

Ferry wise, look for the black ball ferry out of Port Angeles. Not sure if it is really that much quicker, but the only option I'm aware of from the states right into downtown Victoria.

I'm hoping that some of the Vancouver Island guys can chime in here regarding snow. I don't think you will see much of it unless you go to the higher elevations, or further north??

Best regards,
Brian

Sent from my LG-H915 using OB Talk mobile app

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

Hi.. I think you are in for a good trip!! November has great storm watching along the west side of the island.

Ferry wise, look for the black ball ferry out of Port Angeles. Not sure if it is really that much quicker, but the only option I'm aware of from the states right into downtown Victoria.

I'm hoping that some of the Vancouver Island guys can chime in here regarding snow. I don't think you will see much of it unless you go to the higher elevations, or further north??

Best regards,
Brian

Sent from my LG-H915 using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks for the info Brian. Definitely excited to get up there and explore. Depending on how long I can actually be off from work will dictate how far north I go. 2 days alone will be eaten up just by driving from Los Angles to the border.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

J Tosh Reed

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Member #

Hey guys Vancouver Island dude here. Definitely don't need to worry about snow unless you go up some of the mountains you'll be fine.

Check out Sombrio beach, it's out of Victoria about an hour or so towards port Renfrew. There's a sign telling you its coming up in 500 meters then it's just a sketchy dirt road /trail heading down the hill to the beach. Condition varies from dirt road to intense trail depending on water washout and trail upkeep.

Another fun one with more off road, head out to port Renfrew and take the back road to lake cowichan, then you can take a logging road to Bamfield. Epic drive and amazing beach. If you're so inclined you can take some more logging roads from there to port Alberni and from there hit tofino too. Those logging roads have tons of offshoot roads and trails too! Want any more info on anything just hit me up!
-John

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

There won't be any snow at sea level, but if you're camping on the coast it can get cold with winter storms blowing in. It'll definitely rain, maybe every day.

Cell coverage is minimal on the west coast of the island. I recommend buying a copy of the Backroads Mapbook.

Echoing John, definitely take the West Coast Rd (Hwy 14) up to Port Renfrew from Victoria. Fuel up in Sooke, there is often no gas in Renfrew. There are some very special beaches you can hike down to along the way (Sandcut, Mystic, Sombrio, and Botanical).

There's a public waterfront campground at Jordan River (info) that has toilets and water and is $10/night. Alternately you can stay at the Pacheedaht campground just north of Port Renfrew, where you can get a spot right on the sandy beach.

Before you leave Renfrew, don't miss Avatar Grove and Big Lonely Doug.

John's suggestion of linking up Port Renfrew-Lake Cowichan-Bamfield-Port Alberni-Tofino sounds like a blast! That could keep you busy for any number of days and then you can take the ferry back to the mainland from Nanaimo (Duke Point).

I'd be happy to meet up, PM me about a week out and we can arrange something.

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

Hi Jeremy, did you end up coming up this way?
Hi Ivivier,

Unfortunately we were not able to. We are still planning on going up there this summer (crossing my fingers), and have been able to recruit one more driver. I am planning on taking 10 days off. 2-3 days is for traveling up to the border, there and back. The rest would be for exploring. I really hope I can make it this year.

Reactions: lvivier

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Hey Jeremy,

Will second, third? The things already mentioned. There is some amazing things to see North of Nanaimo as well. Though I am partial to south Island (Port Renfrew, Avatar Grove, Jordan River.) Do you surf?

I would recommend coming through Port Angeles in Washington it will allow you to avoid Seattle traffic.
If West coast of the island is of interest there is Ucluelet and Tofino, with some interesting things like Cathedral Grove and some logging road access to beautiful sites to see and camping sand beaches, but busy in the summer. Depends on how much time you want to give to each place.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hi Ivivier,

Unfortunately we were not able to. We are still planning on going up there this summer (crossing my fingers), and have been able to recruit one more driver. I am planning on taking 10 days off. 2-3 days is for traveling up to the border, there and back. The rest would be for exploring. I really hope I can make it this year.
When are you thinking about your trip? I'm planning a trip for Team Hunt through BC the month of July. They will be on VI towards the end of their trip in late July.

Thanks for the local tips @J Tosh Reed and @lvivier! I hope you get a chance to meet up with Mike, Ellen and their son Hunt :)

Reactions: john casson