First Name
Jason
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Howdy fellow travelers,

I will be driving to Dallas, TX from Los Angeles, CA mid-January 2018 and thought it would be an excellent opportunity to see the Mighty 5 along the way. I have at least seven days I could use with one or two more if I need it. I will be driving a 2016 Tacoma TRD pulling a 4 x 8 Uhaul trailer.

I am looking for any advice on the road conditions in those areas around that time and recommended equipment. Also, any suggestions o must see places or stops to make along the way. I have been to Zion and Bryce before so I could substitute those for something else if need be.

I thank ya'll for the help.

- Jason

Texas_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Guam
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I could spend all my time in Moab. Are you wheeling at all or just sightseeing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app
I would love to do some wheeling but I plan on playing it safe by not because I need to make sure I get to Texas in one piece. So pretty much just sightseeing for this trip.

What would be your recommendation for Moab such as places to stay, what mild trails to go on (if I did choose to wheel), what are must do/see in a span of 2 days?

Last edited:

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

Sorry I missed your message. I always stay in a cabin at either ACT Campground or Moab Rim Campground. In the spring rooms are really expensive and I get those for about $60/night. We are only in the room to sleep anyway. Definitely do breakfast at Moab Diner. Your pickup will still get you to some of the most amazing scenery. I suggest being at Dead Horse State Park for sunrise if you can. That's all paved. If you only get to do one easy trail, do Chicken Corners. Amazing views and starts just outside town. Make sure to take it all the way to the end. That's where the most amazing view is.

Reactions: Texas_taco

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

I love S Utah. It will be cold with possible snow, but fewer people. I've hiked all over this part of the country as early as mid Feb. Check the weather before you get there.
In addition to the above suggestions on hikes:
1. Capitol Reef NP - actually my favorite U.S. park. Cassidy Arch hike. For driving you could check out the Burr Trail south of CR at Boulder or Cathedral Valley at CR. Check with the rangers at C Reef.
2. Arches - Devils Garden all the way to the end over the fin. Go as early as possible. Can get crowded anytime of the year. Also Broken Arch is a nice easy couple of miles loop hike - one of my fav's, and usually no one on it. Start it from the Devils Garden campgrounds.
3. Canyonlands Needles District south of Moab. Great trails - Chesler Park is one of my all time favorite hikes. Make it as long as you like.
4. If you going thru Grand Junction, Colorado National Monument is a really nice, hidden gem.
5. Bryce will be snowbound, but is awesome with snow and the red canyon.
6. I like Kanab, UT - a more laid back than Moab. The Kanab visitors center (the one run by the town) really knows the area. Real characters. Some great slot canyons in the area.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas_taco

Texas_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Guam
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Sorry I missed your message. I always stay in a cabin at either ACT Campground or Moab Rim Campground. In the spring rooms are really expensive and I get those for about $60/night. We are only in the room to sleep anyway. Definitely do breakfast at Moab Diner. Your pickup will still get you to some of the most amazing scenery. I suggest being at Dead Horse State Park for sunrise if you can. That's all paved. If you only get to do one easy trail, do Chicken Corners. Amazing views and starts just outside town. Make sure to take it all the way to the end. That's where the most amazing view is.

Some of my plans have changed as I no longer need to pull a trailer. Currently I am looking to make my first stop in Bryce then first thing the next morning and take Highway 12 to Capitol Reef. After spending some time there I will head to Moab and spend at least 2 full days there before heading to Texas. Thank you for the suggestions an d hopefully I can do a little bit of wheeling.

Texas_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Guam
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I love S Utah. It will be cold with possible snow, but fewer people. I've hiked all over this part of the country as early as mid Feb. Check the weather before you get there.
In addition to the above suggestions on hikes:
1. Capitol Reef NP - actually my favorite U.S. park. Cassidy Arch hike. For driving you could check out the Burr Trail south of CR at Boulder or Cathedral Valley at CR. Check with the rangers at C Reef.
2. Arches - Devils Garden all the way to the end over the fin. Go as early as possible. Can get crowded anytime of the year. Also Broken Arch is a nice easy couple of miles loop hike - one of my fav's, and usually no one on it. Start it from the Devils Garden campgrounds.
3. Canyonlands Needles District south of Moab. Great trails - Chesler Park is one of my all time favorite hikes. Make it as long as you like.
4. If you going thru Grand Junction, Colorado National Monument is a really nice, hidden gem.
5. Bryce will be snowbound, but is awesome with snow and the red canyon.
6. I like Kanab, UT - a more laid back Moab. The Kanab visitors center (the one run by the town) really knows the area. Real characters. Some great slot canyons in the area.

Have fun!
Thank you for all of the great suggestions! My fingers are crossed the weather works in my favor while I am there. I have a few of the popular hikes and destinations in mind but this is great information you have.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Great part of the country. You'll enjoy it. Plus with your rig and no trailer anything is possible. I do this in a Crosstrek. Let us know how it went. Drive with care and enjoy.