USGI Magnesium Snowshoe Review

• Thread starter expeditionnorth
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

USGI Magnesium Snowshoe Review

OK so I could not find a review, however my searches never seem to yield the greatest results…So for xmas I got my father a pair of these USGI magnesium snowshoes. You see them on all sort of sites and places usually selling for around $40. I thought these would be the ideal gift, since he is a hunter and where we live we get lots of snow. He could not figure out how to install the bindings and was getting irritated. All is great until one looks at the instruction manual that is provided to properly install the bindings. I have never used these before, so I tried my hardest with the provided paperwork.. It is very lacking in all manners. So I found this site that helps one assemble the snowshoes properly I hope at: .http://www.ropeer.com/military-snowshoe-assembly-and-use/
It also appears from my research that the white bindings are about 30 years old and the newer black bindings are younger and much easier to use. The newer black bindings use snaps to fasten the foot into the snowshoe. I wish I knew this prior to the purchase. So Caveat emptor when buying yours.

I am really impressed with the build of these, the magnesium frames are so superlight and the cables I thought I read somewhere are stainless steel which seems almost indestructible. Here is a photo of them [after installing bindings] to show overall size etc.

In this photo I attempted to illustrate where the bindings attach. Both pairs on top of each other so it may be a bit confusing at first.

This photo shows how the must be laid out prior to installation. IMG]http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/aa1pr/USGI Magnesium Snowshoes/DSC_1486.jpg[/IMG]

One has to think that they are being installed with the buckles upside down in order for proper installation. It also helps to get out your winter boots and use them in the install. One starts with the installation of the toe strap which is the most straight forward piece. The toe is allowed to bend into the large opening on the snowshoe fro proper operation. This allows the snowshoe to ride above the snow when you move your leg/foot forward which each step. After a few steps it gets easier.

The next step is the heel strap. This has to be positioned so the heel strap lines up just behind your heel on what boots you will be wearing. The heel strap comes up and around the ankle.

Now that they are all assembled you are good to go like my little guy. Our outdoor security light projected a green color cast…

Here is a better photo of the snowshoes in the deep snow

Walking across 2 ½ feet of snow like it was nothing! To be honest it has a crust maybe 3 inches beneath the surface.

It looked to be a bit tricky to make a sharp turn on these, the tell tale tracks show all. Little Mike says after this short walk it feels as if the toe straps are coming loose. Not sure what that could be or is?