Used truck and SUV prices in Atlantic Canada

• HTML tutorial

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Hi all, I live in PE, I am from NS so I haven no relationshipo with any dealers yet, and I am shoping for a used 4x4 Truck/SUV to replace my Car and serve as the new Family and Adventure vehicle. I have looked at and test drove a number of vehicles and find that they are well over priced for their conditions. For example 2014 140000km XLT F150 reasonably well equipped nothing too special; the dealer tolde me it was a really nice truck, needs nothing and said it was 18800 retail (+tax licensing) ready to hit the road. 16600 wholesale and I take care of the rest. I showed up to view it and it was peeling and rusting all along the bottoms of the doors and rockers, never under coated, the whole left side of the 3.5l echoboost was soacked in oily watery clooant smelling goo, and the guy showing me priced it at 18800 whole sale. Is this what I can expect for conditions in Atlantic Canada at this price range?
Also looked at a 2010 Tundra with 147000km listed at 17995 that upon inspection had a very serious looking smash in the rear end, it was also not very well kept over the years.
Going to look at another Tundra 2007 only 107000km listed at 17999 that looks absolutely pristine in pictures, and it is a limited with everything offered in that year excepts Nav, only a visit will tell the whole story.
I started my shopping before COVID with a budget of 12000(+tax/licening) and have started looking at vehicles in the 19000 to 23000 dollar range which is over budget and out of my comfort zone.I have been using VRM Canda and AutoTrader to guage prices and it seems that all list prices are well outside the suggested VRM and AutoTradersuggested prices with the exception of a fewdealers.
What I am looking foris a reasonably well equipped 4x4 that can be comfortable for 8h trips for me, my wife, 2 kids and a dog to go fishing, hiking, biking, exploring, and camping. I am hoping the future holds a boat and maybe a teardrop camper, both I aspire to build myself. So I don't need huge towing capacity but certainly more than a crossover offers. Wanting something that with good preventative maintenance and common sense will potentially last the better part of a decade (6 to 8 years), and I don't care too much about resale value because I will likely be the last owner. I am not looking for a luxtury truck/suv 2011 Cruze LT level of equipment is good enough for us.With all that said, what price point will all that come in? I have some telling me as low as 12000 and dealers saying 32000 to start. I would like to be under 20000 all in. If I find something I like should Ijust offer what VRM and AutoTrader say is a fair retail price and if they say no, walk away until I get a yes? Or should I just wait till the NS/NB borders open and shop elsewhere?
This is my first truck/suv purchase so I am a bit in the dark on what a good value truly is.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Ok, for one, if you are buying used, do not look at toyota expecting a low price. You won't get it. You can get a decent "domestic" truck for less money. For ford, if you are not buying new, stay away from the ecoboost. They have been problematic in the past. High strung turbo motors are not as reliable as a v8 non forced induction motor. We have a 17 f150 with the coyote v8 and it's great. To give you an idea, here in NL i bought my 2014 wrangler unlimited sport with 120,000k on the clock for 23,000. Now, jeep wranlger like toyota have a very high resale.

Do you have any brands you are parital to?

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
This one looks very clean. Even the buttons on the heater and radio are not even worn. That happens alot on GM products for some reason. This seems to indicate highway milage and a vehicle that is well taken care of. Just an idea...

If you want to step above your 20k price a couple of thousand this would fit the bill very nicely!

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Ok, for one, if you are buying used, do not look at toyota expecting a low price. You won't get it. You can get a decent "domestic" truck for less money. For ford, if you are not buying new, stay away from the ecoboost. They have been problematic in the past. High strung turbo motors are not as reliable as a v8 non forced induction motor. We have a 17 f150 with the coyote v8 and it's great. To give you an idea, here in NL i bought my 2014 wrangler unlimited sport with 120,000k on the clock for 23,000. Now, jeep wranlger like toyota have a very high resale.

Do you have any brands you are parital to?
Thanks for the reply, I pretty much dropped the idea of getting a decent rig for the money I am willing to pay. Everytime I seen something good in my price range it sells before I could get in touch with the sellers; 3 times in one day! Most of the stuff I am finding is off island which adds another level of PITA. SO we pretty much curbed our enthusiasim and started looking at high ground clearance crossovers; it isn't like we are going anywhere anytime soon anyway. There is no overlanding or even decent camping on PEI, our plans to go cross country are squashed, and barring NFLD there isn't anywhere to use such a rig and I simply don't have the time off to make that trip worth while this year. We settled on a CX5 for now; we spoke to the original owner and we feel it is a good buy despite the km's, but if they cannot get it ready for us before we leave to NS I will be looking at a F150 and an Xterra in the area.
On a completely different subject we ended up with a Labrador Retriever puppy and he is super awesome! I am getting the feeling that I will be in one of those siutations where the dog is smarter than his owner lol.
At this point as long as I have room for him and the family we should be good to go and hopefully next summer has some better opportunities.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

This one looks very clean. Even the buttons on the heater and radio are not even worn. That happens alot on GM products for some reason. This seems to indicate highway milage and a vehicle that is well taken care of. Just an idea...

If you want to step above your 20k price a couple of thousand this would fit the bill very nicely!

20k is the limit and that is all in. I was planning to have a look at the gmc but it sold before I got to the valley. Seen this one up the line and on the way back to the island Truck for Sale- 2012 F-150 | Cars & Trucks | Truro | Kijiji
I know it is a ecoboost but at that price ... There is also a 2011 Yukon xl slt with 143k on it but it is 14900 with no inspection and I need the sticker left on it to get the transit permit. Maybe we can make an arrangement so we will see.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If I were to buy an Eco boost I would only buy new. Abused turbo replacement is expensive. Eco boost is an awesome setup, but you need to know how turbos work. Like letting them idle for a few mins after coming off the highway from a long fpdrive so that the turbo can cool down while still having oil supplied to its bearings etc.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

If I were to buy an Eco boost I would only buy new. Abused turbo replacement is expensive. Eco boost is an awesome setup, but you need to know how turbos work. Like letting them idle for a few mins after coming off the highway from a long fpdrive so that the turbo can cool down while still having oil supplied to its bearings etc.
Doesn't really matter, sold before I could get up that way to see it; So did the Sierra and the Silverado. The Yukon had issues that would be expensive to fix at a shop but reasonable if one had tools and a place to work; otherwise would have been a good buy. There is a 2010 F150 4.6L in Moncton I am interested in but the seller doesn't seem too interested in responding to me at all... and a Private sale 2010 Sport Trac with the 4.6L 6 speed 155k in NB not too far from my cousin; looks to be the bling bling model with the low pro tires and DVD players in the head rests. Thought about going there and looing at them this weekend but we have company coming. 2 Frontiers with 160+- locally but they didn't really fit the kids and the dog in the back. Test drove a 2009 Ridgeline at 14999 with 166k on it that was in good shape but the dealer couldn't verify if the timing belt and water pump service was done so we couldn't settle on a price. The CX5 is still in the shop so..... that leaves me overlanding a 2011 Cruze with 315k on it lol

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Do ecoboost not have a water cooled turbocharger like every other modern turbocharger? I imagine they are also variable Vaine. That cool down procedure is very mid 70s tech when turbos only had an oil supply line and most of the turbos were aftermarket installs, in the 90s we were doing that procedure on imports because of the size of the turbo being used up until greddy started making turbo timers. On a modern factory turbo I wouldnt worry too much about it just don't hotrod your rig before you park it.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Do ecoboost not have a water cooled turbocharger like every other modern turbocharger? I imagine they are also variable Vaine. That cool down procedure is very mid 70s tech when turbos only had an oil supply line and most of the turbos were aftermarket installs, in the 90s we were doing that procedure on imports because of the size of the turbo being used up until greddy started making turbo timers. On a modern factory turbo I wouldnt worry too much about it just don't hotrod your rig before you park it.
I am less concerned about the turbo and more concerned about the interanl water pump, but I think that is newer models 2015 maybe?
With that said I see Autism's point, a simple NA V8 has less to go wrong with it than a twin screw 6 over the long haul.
And with that said... I would rather a twin screw 6 truck than no truck at all, just like I would rather a Ford Truck than no truck at all lol.
The F150 is not my favorite, it is just my favorite in my price range. I would rather a good; Tacoma, Ridgeline, or Colorado; since I am not doing anything HD and the largest boat I ever plan on owning has a hull weight of 2800# and the largest camper I would ever want sits in around 2300# 5000# towing capacity is all I will need. As for the bed, as long as it can fit come mountain bikes or a 250 dual sport or 2 I don't need anything bigger. Less of a work truck and more of a life style truck, I just want to get out and have fun.
As for SUV's I tried a base model Xterra and really didn't like it, it was nothing like the Frontier of which I really liked (my oldest daughter didn't like the back seats at her height thats why the Frontier is off the list). The GMT800/900's are really nice but conistently hit outside of my budget.

At this point though summer is over and I can get something cheap if my car craps out and resume looking next year.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well, around this part of the country there are LOTS of turbo failures in the ecoboosts....Couldn't hurt to do for longevity. I know my 2003 passat motor was known to have "turbo issues". I had 130k on mine when I traded it and the factory original turbo was fine even after having APR tune it. I just treated the turbo like a "70s" turbo and it worked perfect.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So I finally got something; no rust to speak of, lowish km's better than a cruze off road...
118537990_10158309684221955_9107490241383815135_o.jpg
2012 MDX! Not really the best but it hits a lot of the practicality boxes and for the same money I couldn't find a truck in as good shape, or even working as well. I seen a lot, and they were either quite a bit more or rust... the big thing was rust.
With 5000lbs towing capacity it should pull anything I am going to pull for a while. Next year I should be looking for a trailer or planning a trailer project.
Anyway, guess that ends this chapter.
Cheers!