Launch Member

Traveler I

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Langan
Member #

Question. I have a 21 Ram 1500, for the space of carrying two adults and 3 teens. We don't use much for camping but I was tossing around the idea of putting a side mount ladder rack (because they can be easily taken off when not in use) and then mounting a 270 awning to it. Has anyone done this at all or have any input? We'd also use it to carry a canoe, which I know others do.

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Here is mine. I dont have my 270 yet that i am going to mount on the passenger side but do have the 6x8 on the driver side mountedPXL_20210106_215359708.MP.jpg

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
To be honest mine stays on most of the time just because if I am not running to fire I am off camping somewhere. I did however mount it on unistrut tracks so when I do need to remove it all I do is take 12 bolts out and the whole rack and the gear comes right off the truck. Super quick and easy. I also leave the roll up tonneau cover on so I can use that configuration if I want. I can also remove the roll if needed with 4 bolts.

Patrick Langan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Langan
Member #

To be honest mine stays on most of the time just because if I am not running to fire I am off camping somewhere. I did however mount it on unistrut tracks so when I do need to remove it all I do is take 12 bolts out and the whole rack and the gear comes right off the truck. Super quick and easy. I also leave the roll up tonneau cover on so I can use that configuration if I want. I can also remove the roll if needed with 4 bolts.
Cheers! Thank you for all that info. Much appreciated!

Reactions: jwalla

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My buddy put a HF ladder rack on his GMC Sierra and built a side deploying awning on it. It's quite nice and gets the job done well.