Up early or stuck to the mattress?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I wake up at 5:00 am everyday, it took me 2 days to adjust. When my wife was alive our time was 5:15 to 6:00. Wake up at 5:00 do the first chores and enjoy each other for a little while. With out life as it was we didn't always get home until late, so the morning was ours.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Supporter

Influencer I

Prairieville, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Member #

When I was working, I'd get out of bad at 5 AM to get the wife her first cup of coffee(she's up at 4:30 AM every morning), then I'd leave for work.
First year I retired, I'd get out of bed at 5 AM.

Almost 3 years later, I get out of bed at different times, depends on what I have, or don't have planned. If I get up too late in the mornings, I don't feel like doing anything that day. I now get up around 7 AM.

64Trvlr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
AKA 64 Trvlr
Member #

Ham Callsign
KK7NAZ
I've been up most every day of my life between 4:00 and 4:30. I haven't set an alarm in years I just wake up and turn the coffee on. It's great being up when things are peaceful, quiet and not many others are out.

Have you ever noticed that in a coffee shop at 4:30 or 5:00 most people are smiling and enjoying the morning. Go back in at 7:00-7:30 most are in a hurry and grumpy.

Billiebob

Rank V

Influencer I

Nakusp, BC V0G 1R0, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

My biological clock wakes me early. At home it is easy to crawl back into bed.
But camping I have to get dressed and go for a walk so I'm always making coffee by 6am.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have always been more of a night owl, staying up late and sleeping in. Then with my job starting at 8:00 AM. I was up by 6:00 AM. Everyday for over 20 years. Even my days off, I was up at 6:00 even if I wanted to sleep in! Now, after being retired and hurting lots during the night, I’m up late and still wake up at 6:00, let the dog out, then back to bed. I should stay up at 6:00, but I don’t! I’m trying hard to break the habit of staying up late, sleeping in late, but most of the time doesn’t seem to really matter, so I sleep in! There is always the evening bite too! Vance
I sleep 4-5 hours regardless of what time I go to bed. I usually go to bed at midnight and up between 4 and 5 am. Like you, I hurt all night in a laying position, so it's a struggle to sleep sound let alone for long periods of time. Give anything to be able to sleep for five straight hours without waking !
Lanlubber

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
i guess with the time change we are all getting up earlier now if you really think about it....
I think you mean later since the sun is higher in the sky when not on DL saving time. You probably stay up later as well, so it all works out to the same amount of sleep after you adjust to the change. :- )

Reactions: grubworm

Murphy Slaw

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Southern Illinois
Member #

I've always been an early riser. Can't sleep late because I always have stuff to do.

Even back when I was working musician, playing clubs and drinking and such, I still woke up at 5:00 / 5:30 and got stuff done.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Member #

...out of curiosity I am wondering if most people get up early while camping or rather stay stuck in bed. Me, I love getting up early and watch the sun rise and sip a cup of coffee and listen to the birds start chirping.

Me too.

I tend to wake up and get a move on soon as it starts getting light out. I think it's a much more natural way of being to let light wake me up. Sleeping in a tent that lets in a lot of light helps make that easy. Even when in a building I tend to keep the shades so they'll let in the morning light.

When I sleep in my van, I usually don't wake up as automatically at morning light because it is much more cave-like.

Waking at dawn when camping, I'm usually excited enough to get my day going and end up doing a bunch of stuff like aiming my solar panels or making a few photos before I get to coffee. I do love my morning coffee routine in camp, though, and often get right in the canoe first thing with a travel mug full and go for a paddle.

Here's an image from a week or two ago just after I got up, right from the edge of camp. That kind of thing burns off quick and late sleepers don't get to see it. :sunglasses:

MistyMorning65_7766-1928.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign

Me too.

I tend to wake up and get a move on soon as it starts getting light out. I think it's a much more natural way of being to let light wake me up. Sleeping in a tent that lets in a lot of light helps make that easy. Even when in a building I tend to keep the shades so they'll let in the morning light.

When I sleep in my van, I usually don't wake up as automatically at morning light because it is much more cave-like.

Waking at dawn when camping, I'm usually excited enough to get my day going and end up doing a bunch of stuff like aiming my solar panels or making a few photos before I get to coffee. I do love my morning coffee routine in camp, though, and often get right in the canoe first thing with a travel mug full and go for a paddle.

Here's an image from a week or two ago just after I got up, right from the edge of camp. That kind of thing burns off quick and late sleepers don't get to see it. :sunglasses:

View attachment 126195

As usual, you gave us some fantastic photography. Thank you @ Road

Reactions: Road

Charles M

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1CJM
I hate waking up to alarms. I am fortunate I set my own hours with my work and play so I seldom use an alarm and I get up whenever. I am a night owl bed between 1-3 up by 7 to 9.

Reactions: Lanlubber

grubworm

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

Me too.

View attachment 126195

exactly...a lot of good stuff in nature happens very early morning

that is an amazing photo! the sharpness of the grass, the colors and the hazy background...you nailed that perfectly!

Reactions: Lanlubber and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Member #

As usual, you gave us some fantastic photography. Thank you @ Road
exactly...a lot of good stuff in nature happens very early morning

that is an amazing photo! the sharpness of the grass, the colors and the hazy background...you nailed that perfectly!
Thanks, guys!

SinisterJK

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Yeah for some reason I'm not an early bird. I usually go to sleep pretty late and also am fortunate enough to make my own work hours usually so I wake up round 9ish usually. Sometimes when were out in the woods my bio clock may get me up early cause I have to take a leak but the minute I hit the bed yet again I'm out till my usual. The times I have to be up at the crack of dawn I usually have to end up pulling an all nighter cause once I'm out....I'm out

Reactions: grubworm

AutomaticBluez

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Beaverton, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7LUT
At home I'll sleep in as long as I can unless there is a Liverpool match on (curse you time difference). Out and about I stay up late for stargazing but still get up for dawn.

Number One wife is an early riser regardless.

Gary

max.grun

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSE
Like many others on this thread i tend to be up before anyone else. I enjoy getting the campfire going again and getting the coffee started.

I work the overnight shift and usually only sleep 5 hours a day. So if i fall asleep during the night, i am usually up early in the morning.

rho

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB
If the sun is up, I'm up.... My wife on the other hand... Well she, she gets the benefits of that with piping hot coffee and pancakes when she gets up most of the time, lol