Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Anyone going next weekend? Its not at texas motorplex this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwata77

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well being 1 of only 3 major shows in north texas with any sort of offroading and some overlanding id think more folks would say their going. Its not at the texas motor speedway this year its in midlothian at texplex. My wife and i will most certainly be there sunday the 1st. Let me know if youd like to meet up before hand and roll into the show as a overland bound crew and be parked near one another.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I’m thinking about it. I can’t nail down that weekend yet. I’ve gone to it a couple of times before and hoping the new venue will be better.
Yeah i hope its better too. Last year was terrible not many exhibitors even attended much less spectators. Ill be there come hell or high water like every year.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm a maybe. The wife is going to be out of town for a dog show all weekend and if I've got both kids with me I won't be going. Hauling them both around an event like that alone is not my idea of a good time.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm a maybe. The wife is going to be out of town for a dog show all weekend and if I've got both kids with me I won't be going. Hauling them both around an event like that alone is not my idea of a good time.
Bummer. I bet amanda would be happy to watch them while there she used to babysit professionally in college.

Reactions: Downs

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Yeah i hope its better too. Last year was terrible not many exhibitors even attended much less spectators. Ill be there come hell or high water like every year.
I skipped last year on account of being burned the two years before not being able to drive on the track lol. Paid extra to do it and they never even offered a refund when it was their fault we couldn’t.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I skipped last year on account of being burned the two years before not being able to drive on the track lol. Paid extra to do it and they never even offered a refund when it was their fault we couldn’t.
Last year they ran it early in the morning but it was rained out and not many showed up, i just park in the infield and watch rigs come in to park, this year i might hop on the dyno and see what torque #s im putting down. The texplex park its being held at has side by side, trophy truck tracks and mudding/offroad trails so some fun should be able to be had this year.

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Last year they ran it early in the morning but it was rained out and not many showed up, i just park in the infield and watch rigs come in to park, this year i might hop on the dyno and see what torque #s im putting down. The texplex park its being held at has side by side, trophy truck tracks and mudding/offroad trails so some fun should be able to be had this year.
That makes it sound way more appealing!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There dont seem to be alot of interest here for this show. Possibly why it hasnt been that good over the years any why theyve been catering to the side by side crew and desert racing even though we dont have much baja style stuff going on in tx. With a large enough showing of overlanding vehicles we could change the flavor of the show and i know from the maps there are enough of us in dfw area alone to swarm the show and turn it into something different.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

There dont seem to be alot of interest here for this show. Possibly why it hasnt been that good over the years any why theyve been catering to the side by side crew and desert racing even though we dont have much baja style stuff going on in tx. With a large enough showing of overlanding vehicles we could change the flavor of the show and i know from the maps there are enough of us in dfw area alone to swarm the show and turn it into something different.
Not trying to be mean, but IMO, we don't have the market in Texas.

A proper Texas overlanding auto show would include highway and hybrid all terrains that can handle pot holes and nails because that's the worst threat the overwhelming majority of our roads are. You don't need a 1000 mile fuel range when we've got gas stations every 30 minutes.
There also isn't much "off road" for full sized vehicles in this area so an auto show dedicated to that doesn't seem like a profitable endeavor either. However, there are a few 4x4 parks where dirt bikes, quads, SxSs, and crawlers do well that are just a 1-3 hour trailer ride away.

As for overlanders crashing a SxS show, I'm willing to bet that 90% of the DFW dots are people who signed up because it was #cool, then got bored and are now interested in other things.

It sucks but that's the reality I'm seeing.

Reactions: Downs

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

It’s so unorganized that they haven’t even released a vendor list. The problem with this show is they screwed over a lot of vendors the first year. We had a group of 15-20 jeeps roll down from Tulsa the first two years.