Uneven wear on brake pads

• HTML tutorial

EOD Tam

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alameda, CA
Member #

Have any of you had uneven wear on your brake pads from the same caliper? Could it mean I have a piston sticking?

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Either the piston is sticking. Or what happened on my Subaru is the sliding pins got seized. So pull the caliper off and separate the pad carrier. Then try and move the sliders in and out. If hard to move pull them out and polish them up. Go to a parts store and in the brake section should be some high temp brake grease. That goes on the pins. Should be enough to last you 4 brake changes haha. But you won't have a seizing issue again.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

i see slide pins freeze up alot, at least more often the then the caliper piston. i like to use bore cleaners to get all the crap and some high temp lube. I use the volvo brake grease. id check the lines too for any kinks. also sometimes failing wheel bearings cause this too. but slides and caliper piston would be my vote

EOD Tam

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alameda, CA
Member #

clean the calipers pins & only use caliper pin lube, other chemicals can cause them to bind
I this or the napa equivalent ~ https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-brakes/permatex-ultra-disc-brake-caliper-lube-4/

is the inside or outside pad worn more than the other?
is the pad worn more to the front or rear or evenly as it should provide some insight
The front driver side caliper was the only one I checked at the time. The pad that was worn unevenly was the rear pad closest to the engine.