Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Well, a discussion about a holiday in Greece took an interesting turn last night.

My other half's sister and her husband own a property just to the South of Kalamata in the Peloponnese region, near Stoupa and we have been on hols there before - fantastic area, with lots of quiet, relaxing spots to while away some R&R time.
Nothing unusual, flights from either Gatwick to Kalamata, or Manchester to Athens, and go relax for a couple weeks.

Last nights interesting turn:
Me "When are we going to Sue & Jim's again"
Her "Whenever you like - would be good, long time since we last went"
Me "Best start picking dates then and look at booking flights"
Her "How long to drive there?"
Me "Three days with no stops, a week with a bit of sight seeing"
Her "Which way would be best?"
Me "The longest!"
Her "I'll have a look"
Me "I'll start checking the truck"

For me, the choice is
  1. France, Switzerland, Italy & ferry across to Greece. (Shortest and probably quickest)
  2. France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. (Passes through a couple of risky countries)
  3. France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece. (Longest and probably most enjoyable from a driving and sight seeing point of view)

Problem we now have, is time. I'm on a really busy schedule for work for the next 6 months or so.
Option 1 would be take a week to get there, have a week or two out there and take a week to get back home.
Option 2, about the same as option 1, but with more driving and possibly most risk.
Option 3, for me would be 2 weeks to get there, two weeks out there and two weeks to get home.

Need to go speak to my boss about working while on the road .........

................................. watch this space ????

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hmmm...what will it be. I’m diggin option 3 because that sounds like 6 weeks in total.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: nickburt

SpeysideAT35

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elgin, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
First Name
David
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

Well, a discussion about a holiday in Greece took an interesting turn last night.

My other half's sister and her husband own a property just to the South of Kalamata in the Peloponnese region, near Stoupa and we have been on hols there before - fantastic area, with lots of quiet, relaxing spots to while away some R&R time.
Nothing unusual, flights from either Gatwick to Kalamata, or Manchester to Athens, and go relax for a couple weeks.

Last nights interesting turn:
Me "When are we going to Sue & Jim's again"
Her "Whenever you like - would be good, long time since we last went"
Me "Best start picking dates then and look at booking flights"
Her "How long to drive there?"
Me "Three days with no stops, a week with a bit of sight seeing"
Her "Which way would be best?"
Me "The longest!"
Her "I'll have a look"
Me "I'll start checking the truck"

For me, the choice is
  1. France, Switzerland, Italy & ferry across to Greece. (Shortest and probably quickest)
  2. France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. (Passes through a couple of risky countries)
  3. France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece. (Longest and probably most enjoyable from a driving and sight seeing point of view)

Problem we now have, is time. I'm on a really busy schedule for work for the next 6 months or so.
Option 1 would be take a week to get there, have a week or two out there and take a week to get back home.
Option 2, about the same as option 1, but with more driving and possibly most risk.
Option 3, for me would be 2 weeks to get there, two weeks out there and two weeks to get home.

Need to go speak to my boss about working while on the road .........

................................. watch this space ????
Sounds like a great fun trip! Would love to do something like that....might be able too in a few years time

TeqPal

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salangen, Norway
Member #

Yeah, I like all the plans! I've been zigzag trough most of Italy before, very recommended. For sightseeing, the North and Tuscany is my favorite.

We are also planning to do the Balkans this July, not sure if the route just yet, and it will change along the ride, but if time allows, we will have a few days in greece.
Our vague route is from North of Norway through Sweden, Denmark, Germany and then at a slower pace starting in Czech, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania and then Greece.
Traveling in the Balkans will be new to us, and exciting! Probably hot too, since the cruiser is still without A/C.

Do you have any recommendations for nice areas in Greece, beaches, mountains etc without too much people around?

Good luck on your planning and overlanding!
When are you starting?

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

The Peloponnese region is good for quiet areas and some nice mountain dirt tracks.
No idea yet when we might go again, but looking forward to it.