Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We are still planning a tour to England in September. Now it is so that we have to bring a negative test from home in addition to the entry form despite complete vaccination AND on the 2nd day in England additionally a test that we must book and pay before entry (Germany is on the Green List).

Entry form and test here is no problem. But regarding the day 2 test there are questions. The government website is a bit confusing at this point. There is a list of test centers that are approved for this test. However, I am having a hard time figuring out where these centers are. Furthermore, once I have found one that is convenient to our route, the center's page states that only those registered in the respective administrative district can be tested here.

We will probably arrive in Dover/Southeast England in the evening. Who can tell me please where we can find a test center on the way west on day 2, which
  1. is approved for the day 2 test
  2. where foreign tourists who are not registered there can actually be tested and
  3. where we can book an appointemnet from here

That would be a big help. Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Björn

Frontal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Woodbury, Exeter, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Voisey
Member #

Hi Bjorn

The Uk government are making the rules quite difficult, but after coming back from the Pyrenees a few weeks ago I have now been "through the system" and understand it.

Can I presume that you will be driving, and entering via France?

Unlike Germany, France is on the Amber list and requires a test in 72 hours before arriving in the UK, and a test here in the UK (2 Day)

If you let me know how you are arriving, I will point you in the right direction.

Amber list rules
What you must do if you have been in a country or territory on the amber listin the 10 days before you arrive in England.

You can read separate guidance on what you need to do if you are travelling abroad from England.

Before you travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:

You must do these things whether you are fully vaccinated or not.

To take a 2 day PCR test in the UK is not a problem. Do you have a known address where you will be staying?

The PCR test can be sent there for you.

You can use Randox for a PCR test and the price will be about £45.

Here is the address. Day 2 - Covid Randox

To get a £5 discount enter FLYRYANAIR into the discount box.

You also have to fill in a passenger locator form from the UK government before your arrival.

Fill in your passenger locator form

This has to be done 48 hours before you arrive in the UK.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your help and the very detailed description. That is n fact quite elaborately.We have now decided otherwise and go to France and go another time to England. Nevertheless, thank you for your help. Maybe that helps others here.

Safe travels,
Björn

Last edited:

Frontal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Woodbury, Exeter, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Voisey
Member #

Hi Bjorn

Yes, I think that the UK government is making more difficult than it should be.

I just got back from the Cathar trail in the French Pyrenees, and it was great to get away from Covid for a while.

In five weeks, we will be going back down with a ferry to Bilbao, and then off on a coast to coast trip in the Pyrenees for two weeks.

Best regards

Mark

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, I think that the UK government is making more difficult than it should be.
Yes, think the same. It is especially complicate with regard to the day 2 test if you have no known address in the UK where to sent the kit. And of course, we come by car and do not know when we will be where as we do not stay somewhere but travel around. Unfortunately, I was not able to find out where a test center for an onsite day 2 test is located along the way in South England on this list at the UK government website (we will arrive at Dover and travel westwards, basically along the coast, then). To find a loation to do the test onsite, that might make it a little easier, when there is no possibility to sent it somewhere.

Last edited:

Frontal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Woodbury, Exeter, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Voisey
Member #

I can see your problem as you will not be staying somewhere "known".

The situation is changing on a regular basis, and will have probably changed a few times before you arrive.

If you get stuck, you can always get the tests sent to myself or some other OB member who will be on your route.

You could then pick the test up, stick the swab up your nose and send it off........

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I can see your problem as you will not be staying somewhere "known".

The situation is changing on a regular basis, and will have probably changed a few times before you arrive.

If you get stuck, you can always get the tests sent to myself or some other OB member who will be on your route.

You could then pick the test up, stick the swab up your nose and send it off........
Thanks for your help! That is really kind of you. We'll think again and then maybe I'll come back to your offer.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, we have decided not to go to UK for now, but to look at some nice places and routes in France. Let's see how the situation develops and then we go to a later date.

@Frontal Thank you very much for your help. This is the spirit among overlanders, to help each other, be it pactically or also with information from on site, etc. If you ever come to Germany, let me know, you are welcome and I am happy to help.

Last edited: