Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Here in the U.K. it can be really difficult and very expensive to obtain decent overland gear. Camping stores like Cabelas in the states and Canada just don’t exist over here. The camping stores we do have are a sorry site and the options are slim. So I have started making my own overland gear. I made a little wooden kitchen box last year which has all of my cooking stuff and now I wanted a new challenge. I bought a cabelas 0’F Mountain trapper sleeping bag when I was in Washington State in July and managed to squeeze it into my suitcase back to the UK. Then I needed a bedroll to put it on and there was just nothing available in the U.K. that really fitted the bill. So I have made one. Here it is:

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

That is an impressive looking bedroll you've made. I have recently begun making a few overlanding things myself, mostly canvas storage type solutions on my old Singer.

Will you sew a canvas bag for it?

Reactions: Bjorn

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Nice work. I have to say I love making my own gear. Wood, metal, plastic, or fabric doesn’t matter. I backpack a lot and made most of my backpacking gear as well.

Great job, what’s next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

That is an impressive looking bedroll you've made. I have recently begun making a few overlanding things myself, mostly canvas storage type solutions on my old Singer.

Will you sew a canvas bag for it?
No but the outside has been waxed so it is waterproof:)

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Nice work. I have to say I love making my own gear. Wood, metal, plastic, or fabric doesn’t matter. I backpack a lot and made most of my backpacking gear as well.

Great job, what’s next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks:) I’m not sure what is next. I tend to just use my kit until I realise I need something or that I could improve on something I already have and then have a go at making it.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Looks pretty cool, with the waterproofing and something soft that's looking nice! - just foam or memory foam?

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Looks pretty cool, with the waterproofing and something soft that's looking nice! - just foam or memory foam?
It’s double layered. One layer of high density foam to stop me feeling the rocks and then a layer of memory foam for comfort. It’s really comfortable. It came out way better than I expected.

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

It’s double layered. One layer of high density foam to stop me feeling the rocks and then a layer of memory foam for comfort. It’s really comfortable. It came out way better than I expected.

That's brilliant! yeah having that extra layer will make all the difference on a hard / rocky surface
Very innovative thinking there Bjorn !

Completely the right way - if you cant get it.. make it

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Here in the U.K. it can be really difficult and very expensive to obtain decent overland gear. Camping stores like Cabelas in the states and Canada just don’t exist over here. The camping stores we do have are a sorry site and the options are slim. So I have started making my own overland gear. I made a little wooden kitchen box last year which has all of my cooking stuff and now I wanted a new challenge. I bought a cabelas 0’F Mountain trapper sleeping bag when I was in Washington State in July and managed to squeeze it into my suitcase back to the UK. Then I needed a bedroll to put it on and there was just nothing available in the U.K. that really fitted the bill. So I have made one. Here it is:

Fit rite into an army compresion bag that keep it clean and dry try military mart its good how many surplus gear becomes usefull in trucks weather for ovelanding , bushcraft etc BnT

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Found them, thanks. Really good stuff on there. Shame it’s so far away from me because I could browse that store for hours.

I do lol. Try wynnchester bedrole cover too they make some gear , Military mart do a gortex bivy bag ive got one slept out in it in all weather dutch army sleeping bag system best buy ive made in a long time. Wynnchester.co.uk

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Yes I have come across wynnchester before and wasn’t so impressed. Just bought a few bits off the military mart website