Shropshire England
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ziola
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7MJZ
Hi all looking around I see that the discussion of the best communication types for the UK has been had best UK comms, I see most are using PMR, Zello or CB with some interest in HAM but the UK not having an OLB Comms frequency is there not enough interest/licensed members to have one?

But if like me you have an interest in HAM radio then now is a good time to get it done, now you can get the foundation licensed online for £27.50 all in this is due to COVID and clubs unable to meet.
It is recommended you get the book but I did all my training free online and passed my foundation exam 2 weeks ago.
You will need a bit of free time to watch the videos and learn the stuff but it's not that hard to do.

All in I think it's worth getting the license so we can use our Baofeng problem-free and if we want to get a big fancy radio we all have an excuse to spend more money on our trucks!!
Thanks all.

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

Hi all looking around I see that the discussion of the best communication types for the UK has been had best UK comms, I see most are using PMR, Zello or CB with some interest in HAM but the UK not having an OLB Comms frequency is there not enough interest/licensed members to have one?

But if like me you have an interest in HAM radio then now is a good time to get it done, now you can get the foundation licensed online for £27.50 all in this is due to COVID and clubs unable to meet.
It is recommended you get the book but I did all my training free online and passed my foundation exam 2 weeks ago.
You will need a bit of free time to watch the videos and learn the stuff but it's not that hard to do.

All in I think it's worth getting the license so we can use our Baofeng problem-free and if we want to get a big fancy radio we all have an excuse to spend more money on our trucks!!
Thanks all.

Hey I’ve got a Baofeng but I’ve programmed it to just use the PMR 446 Channels, I’ve not sent anything over the net yet as I know it’s not really legal due to the power of it. But I’ve got it just so I can listen in if needs be when out as groups.

I should probably look at getting this done so I’m all legit. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: paramatt

paramatt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shropshire England
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ziola
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7MJZ
Hey I’ve got a Baofeng but I’ve programmed it to just use the PMR 446 Channels, I’ve not sent anything over the net yet as I know it’s not really legal due to the power of it. But I’ve got it just so I can listen in if needs be when out as groups.

I should probably look at getting this done so I’m all legit. Thanks for the info!
I think now is a good time to get the test done if you can, I was put off by my local club as I was scoffed at for having a Baofeng so doing it online was super easy! I think most are using PMR and like you said you can always just listen in.