Type of tracks to avoid with a open differential?

• HTML tutorial

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this as I'm new here. But what types of tracks are best to be avoided if possible when your rig has 3.21 gearing and a open differential? am I okay to go out on beaches with maxtraxs of some sort and a land anchor or avoid them all together? And adding lockers or a LSD isn't really a option for me at this time as I drive a 2014 Ram 1500 4wd and no one makes a locker for the ZF axle and there are very few options for a LSD and with over 105k miles on it I don't think that its a smart way to spend the money. Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Can you explain open differentials? I had a 17 ram 1500 and i had smittybilt traction boards really just used them once. The lockers are a waste in my mind. Its one of those things that if you have them you might need them. A maxtrak and a land anchor you can get your self out of alot of stuff

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
I apologize if this is the wrong section for this as I'm new here. But what types of tracks are best to be avoided if possible when your rig has 3.21 gearing and a open differential? am I okay to go out on beaches with maxtraxs of some sort and a land anchor or avoid them all together? And adding lockers or a LSD isn't really a option for me at this time as I drive a 2014 Ram 1500 4wd and no one makes a locker for the ZF axle and there are very few options for a LSD and with over 105k miles on it I don't think that its a smart way to spend the money. Thanks in advance for your help and input.
Air Down, avoid soft sand, dont go alone, you should be GTG. I have wheeled most Texas beaches in an open diff P/U.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Sorry i googled the answer to my question. Ive never had any problem with the two rams ive owned. The latest one was a 17 and the old one was an 08. Put almost 300k on the 08 and was pretty rough on it. I did have to rebuild the rear end on the 08 at 125k but that was the only problem i had with it. Your questions about tracks is ive only used mine once getting out of a snow drift. Use those before i’d spend money on lockers. I

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Can you explain open differentials? I had a 17 ram 1500 and i had smittybilt traction boards really just used them once. The lockers are a waste in my mind. Its one of those things that if you have them you might need them. A maxtrak and a land anchor you can get your self out of alot of stuff
Lockers are probably the single best traction improvement you can make. It is one of those things that if you have them, you probably will not get stuck in the first place.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

As soon as you need a locker, you won’t think they were a waste of money...

I recently found myself stuck for 6 hours with my family in the rig... a locker, and a winch, and we would likely have been out in an hour. Maxtrax did not work in this situation.

James

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

Basically, the truck sends power through the drive train to the path of least resistance. So if I loose traction on one wheel all the power will go to that wheel and make it spin, no power will go to the one with traction.

Unfortunately no one makes a selectable locker for the 9.25 Chrysler ZF axle that I can find. I do not know if the new locker from the 2019 rebel is in the same axle housings nor do I really feel like being the test platform for a retrofit to an older model year running a different gear ratio, so my options are stay with the open diff or spent 1500-2000 on a clutch style LSD that will have to be rebuilt at somepoint and that seems like im just throwing money away really.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I'm not sure anyone in the history of overlanding has ever said having a locking diff is a waste. People weigh the cost of adding lockers against their needs and budgets, but if money was no object, I'd imagine anyone would like to have lockers.

But I hear you're not trying to add lockers, so I'd just say any situation where traction is loose: mud, snow, and wet rock, would be a concern for me with open diffs. You can mitigate risk by gaining off road experience, going out with friends who can bail you out, adding a winch up front, and common sense.

I would not count on a land anchor working well in a forest or winter/snow situation. It looks like land anchors work best n the sand where they are easily buried.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I'm not sure anyone in the history of overlanding has ever said having a locking diff is a waste. People weigh the cost of adding lockers against their needs and budgets, but if money was no object, I'd imagine anyone would like to have lockers.

But I hear you're not trying to add lockers, so I'd just say any situation where traction is loose: mud, snow, and wet rock, would be a concern for me with open diffs. You can mitigate risk by gaining off road experience, going out with friends who can bail you out, adding a winch up front, and common sense.

I would not count on a land anchor working well in a forest or winter/snow situation. It looks like land anchors work best n the sand where they are easily buried.

A waste for the aspect of his rig. Mine is in the same boat. Was told you cant get them for my p/u. Ive never used a locker n something but have always heard its a thing if you have them great but if you dont oh well. In the market for a new rig right now and thats a feature that im looking to find something with.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Lockers make a substantial difference, but in order of simplicity for the OP:

1) Air down the tires for sand driving (and have a way to reinflate them before driving home...)

2) Disconnect the anti-sway bars when going offroad. This will make a significant difference in how evenly traction is split between the two axles.

3) Soften the suspension by using softer coils / leafs. Like disconnecting the anti-sway bars, softer springs allow the wheels to stay more evenly in contect with the ground. Even ground pressure between each side of an axle is key to maintaining forward traction in an open differential.

4) Get more aggressive tires. In both our 4Runners, we could grind through pretty deep sand with our MTs without lowering pressure or locking the rear diff.

5) Are truetrac diffs available for your axle? Those are less expensive and simpler to operate than selectable lockers, and would still be perfect for your sand driving.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Left foot braking? Would help in some situations with an open diff. Though I don't think it would help in sand or mud where you need to keep your momentum going.

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

"2014 Ram 1500 4wd and no one makes a locker for the ZF axle"

$500 buys a new Yukon posi.
You are correct I can add the yukon positraction or the mopar limited slip differential but the cost that I have been quoted in my areas was approx. $1500 after parts and install and to me that doesnt seem like a sound investment as you still have to rebuilt them overtime due to their use of clutch packs that slip and engage based on wheel spin.

Lindenwood,
As of right now Eaton does not make the truetrac differential for my axle. I have been told its possible to retrofit but involves a new axle, ring gear and master rebuild kit for the differential which is why I have not considered that option.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Fair enough! I definitely wouldnt buy a clutched LSD for anything more than construction-yard offroad use.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Fair enough! I definitely wouldnt buy a clutched LSD for anything more than construction-yard offroad use.
I've had LSD's before and I've found their added benefit to be marginal at best. A selectable locker or some left foot braking to help plus some extra recovery gear.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I've had LSD's before and I've found their added benefit to be marginal at best. A selectable locker or some left foot braking to help plus some extra recovery gear.
It depends tremendously on the suspension's compliance. The better the suspension is able to evenly distribute the truck's weight on each side of the axle(s)--i.e. "flex"--the better a limited slip (and open) differential will work.

*edit*

Of course, on simple sand where the suspension doesnt have to work that hard, the LSD should do great.

Last edited: