Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I've been wanting to head back to Big Bend Ranch State Park to explore the solitude and the fantastic park!
I put out the word a couple of weeks ago to some friends to gauge interest. So far I have a grand total of 4 vehicles: 3 FJ's and a Humvee.
I'm still in the early stages of planning, but I've got most of the itinerary worked out. I made a call out to the ranger station at the park and the ranger that answered helped me out with routes and camping spots.
The goal is to arrive the day after Xmas and make our way to the far east side of the park. (This might be altered due to the LONG day of travel to get there from North Texas.)
We will explore the area around Tres Papalotes, including Nowhere.
From there we will travel west and camp in spots big enough to handle our rigs. (The state park tends to limit # of vehicles per site).
Ultimately I want to end up in the NW section of the park in the Cienega Mountains. It's the most remote area of the park, and pretty much Texas from what I understand.
So, there will be more info as time goes on, the first thing planned is to get everyone together for a Meet & Greet in the next couple of weeks.
10888935_907103559299645_990693699892857050_n.jpg

smokey73

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm planning on going being out there the Thursday after Christmas. We're meeting my inlaw's in Lajits and plan on riding around the park for a couple of days. We may not be able to hook up with your group, but I'd like to see the routes you plan on taking

Reactions: TXpedition

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I'm planning on going being out there the Thursday after Christmas. We're meeting my inlaw's in Lajits and plan on riding around the park for a couple of days. We may not be able to hook up with your group, but I'd like to see the routes you plan on taking
Hey Smokey,
As of right now, the loose route is arrive late the 26th. I haven't gotten together with the guys yet, but I think we will all convoy to the area.
On the 27th we plan on getting to Tres Papalotes on the east side and set up camp. We'll then explore the area: Nowhere, the mines, etc.
After the first night we are going to work our way west through some of the trails to the other camp sites.
I understand I need reservations ahead of time if I want to insure specific sites. We are looking at Mexicano and the Guale 2 campsites, depending on how close they are. I want to space out the camping to different areas of the park.
On the last night I'm not sure where we are camping, but we really want to wind up in the NW quadrant of the park, in the Cienega mountains near Casa Ramon. If no camping can be done there, we will go visit and explore the area for sure. That will be around the time you get there, so feel free to come find us.
I'll post more info here as I nail it down.

smokey73

Rank 0

Contributor I

My in laws will be down there most of the week, but are RVing at the campground in lajitas. We'll stay at the same cg with them till Saturday when they head out, then we'll camp in the park sat and sun. Keep an eye out for us, they're in a yellow rubicon w/37's and I'm in a built, silver 4Runner.

Reactions: TXpedition

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Sounds like a plan. I just had a wrangler join our group. He's a friend of a friend and was real enthusiastic about the trip.
So as of now, it's 3 FJ's, a Humvee and a Wrangler.

Lenny

Rank 0

Contributor II

Texas
I'm in the Dallas(Richardson) area and would be very interested in this trip. If you have room for a Grand Cherokee? :blush:

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I MIGHT be able to do this, Ive got some looming maintenance on the rig that needs doing, and if I get it done to the point Im satisfied, I'll be your huckleberry. More to follow...

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

We have the maximum vehicles allowed per group campsite, according to the ranger I spoke with a few weeks ago.
They said that 5 was the limit.
However, there is another group going those same dates. They are base camping at Rancho Topanga and driving all over both parks and local backroads. I went with them 2 years ago and we had a blast.
If you are on Facebook, look up Texas Overland. In the events section there are 2 trips, the first at Thanksgiving and the other at Xmas.
They are a great group of folks that wheel, camp and enjoy rock hounding.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

That's them. It's weird, I see the events on my phone, but not on my computer at work.
It might be the permissions they set the event up with. There is a gal on that page named Melanie, she's the one putting it together.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

So this weekend (Oct 16th) is the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo.
There are a lot of Texas Overland folks going, I believe. I'm hoping to get a glimpse at some of the cool equipment from the vendors, namely Solar solutions & offroad trailers (for when I get a place to store one).
My rig is still a work in progress and I need to plan out the rest of the build.

This past weekend I got my rotopax carrier mounted. I've been running around with them empty, I'm going to fill up today and see how they handle when full.20161008_105049.jpg 20161008_105058.jpg

Lenny

Rank 0

Contributor II

Texas
So this weekend (Oct 16th) is the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo.
There are a lot of Texas Overland folks going, I believe. I'm hoping to get a glimpse at some of the cool equipment from the vendors, namely Solar solutions & offroad trailers (for when I get a place to store one).
My rig is still a work in progress and I need to plan out the rest of the build.

This past weekend I got my rotopax carrier mounted. I've been running around with them empty, I'm going to fill up today and see how they handle when full.View attachment 8734 View attachment 8735
What does that rotopax mount mount to?

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

20160430_120616.jpg
What does that rotopax mount mount to?
Hey Lenny, sorry for the late reply.
It mounts to my spare tire carrier. Dave at Trailworx Fabrication built it to replace the tire carrier and the rotopax bolts onto it. I can take it on and off when I need to.
It bolts to the pointed end of that arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L. and Lenny

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

So I'm bummed out. A week ago two kids (punks) threw a rock through my back window at about 9pm right after a football game.
I live behind a High School and for the last year have not had any problems.
The good thing is I have a security camera out front. The cops have a copy of the video but I doubt they will/can do anything unless they get caught doing something else.
I am keeping an eye out for them though ;)14642513_10211266544203407_7459305538341746954_n.jpg 14642513_10211266544203407_7459305538341746954_n.jpg 14706938_10211266250676069_5298332714577726810_o.jpg

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Well my wonderful wife didn't balk when I told her I wanted a newer tablet for loading navigation apps and mounting it in the cab of the FJ.
Sunday found me at Sams Club where I found a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8 inch screen).
It's perfect for the trip, I've already loaded Backcountry Navigator, custom maps and Avenza maps, so that I can figure out why I'm lost.
I ordered a mount that slips into the CD player. My buddy Brian has the same mount and suggested it.
Photos to come, once I mount it in place.

Reactions: Travis Barker

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

So Saturday found me "Pre Packing" (test fitting) my gear in the FJ.
I pretty much fit everything I was going to take into the back, after pulling out the rear seat bottom cushions.
The only thing I didn't have was firewood, the clothes I'm taking and the food in the cooler.
Everything fit well, was load balanced and test driven to the gas station and back. With the new suspension, it drove like a dream and no sagging in back.
I'll need to ratchet down my recovery gear and cooler. The rest of the gear I'll probably use bungee cords to hold it down.
IMG_20161210_125523.jpg

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

OH, and if I'm lucky, I'll have a new rear bumper to trail test out in Big Bend! I believe it's at the powder coat now. Flat Black :)
IMG_27261.jpg