DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looking to spend some time scouting here. Purple Lizard maps will be finishing up their Map soon and will be available for purchase in the summer.

Anyone spend some time here?

Can not wait to get tires in dirt here.

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
Looking to spend some time scouting here. Purple Lizard maps will be finishing up their Map soon and will be available for purchase in the summer.

Anyone spend some time here?

Can not wait to get tires in dirt here.
My home turf. Not big but great for a quick getaway. Some of the good roads are gated now, September is best before hunting season. Pretty good disbursed camping but they are taken pretty quick because is is very close to Harrisburg and the more populous eastern PA. I like the Upper Rt. 44 state forests better but they are 3 hours away for me and usually require at least a 3 day weekend,. You will have fun. Lots of history there.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome. I saw a few in a group I am in have made it there and it looks great.

We have stayed at Fowlers Hollow SP which is what got me interested in this whole "overlanding" thing.

Great to know that the upper is better as that is the closest to me.

Thanks for the reply

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
I was fishing at Fowlers Hollow 2 weeks ago. Cold and ice on the ferrules but had a great time. I love hiking the Tuscarora Trail and up the the Hemlocks but they are not as I remember as a kid. The woolly agid has them almost all dead, the gypsy moths went through about 10 years ago and they had to cut almost all of Rising Mountain. Now the Ash Borers are eating there way through the Ash tress. Boy I wish thay could keep all the bugs in China.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Purple Lizard map for here is still delayed.

So I borrowed some info from the internet. www.tacomaworld.com

Tuscarora State Forest Dispersed Sites:
97 - small trailerable, not much flat, decent but not special
96- open are with high grass weeds, small area in woods. No table, or real fire ring. Very meh
95 - cool tent site. Up from little parking area. Rocky. Small. But nice.
91 - NICE big flat occupied. Tent only. At leasts 3 tents set up, plus ez-ups
94 - smallish just off road. Good for small trailer or tent. Table and ring. Could get wet in rain
93- literally just a pull off on side of road. No table or ring.
92 - pull thru, off road and lower. Backhoe parked here. Small rock fire ring not table. Nothing special at all
88 - awesome tent only site. Large. Flat. Wood. Stream.
75 - tent only, on sheriff trail. Didn’t visit
86- decent size for trailer. But right off road. Can see road from table. Small rock ring. Split sun/shade
85 - just a small circle of grass. Open. Rock ring. No table.
82 - on ridge line. Decent size for trailer. Back from road. Table and rock ring. Split sun/shad. Some bugs. Decent site
102 - meh. Lots of grass. Sun. Table. No ring.
103 - slightly better. Shorter grass. Rock ring
104 - another cleaning. Rock ring
105 - another clearing. Table. Rock ring.
107 - nicest on bower Mt rd. Occupied with trailer and big truck. Looks nice tho
101- decent sized clearing. Table real ring
99- pffft. Uphill. Two car width max clearing. A few rocks to make a ring.
77 - decent. Hard to get trailer into. Truck only no cars. Table Real ring. Flat area for tents. Trees
79 - stone. A little off road. Small rock ring no table. Reminds me of a state park site in layout and size.
80 - decent site. Tent or small trailer. But right in road. Table and real ring
90 - the new winner. Huge. Flat. Trees. Big rock ring. Table. Space for 4 diff campsites
89 - smallish site. Big enough for small trailer. Semi sun. Table and rock ring
67- stone parking lot with a table
66 - small site on hiking trail. Stone ring. No table. Can fit small trailer. Exposed to storms
65 - clearing on ridge. Table real ring. Back off road. Decent size. Not bad
64 - Small site. Clearing. Up off road a bit. Table. Ring. Occupied.
63 - small down off road. Table real ring. Nothing special but not bad
57 - just off main road. Nice tho. Occupied. Large enough for full size camper. Sun/shade, table, creek.
59 - tiny just a spot by a gate no table or ring
58 - an uncleared clearing. No table no ring up off road

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
First scouting report is complete for Tuscarora State Forest North.

We hit all the sites between RT 103 AND 35 except the lower 3 (23, 24 and 26)

Of course...get your Purple Lizard Maps before you head here. I used it as the only navigation tool. Plenty pleased again. Although there is a slight question with the marked site 19(not available on the DCNR reservation page) and the unmarked site 20.(site 20 is a GEM so I am ok with it not being on the map)

Found a few purple lizards. We even found that the main roads in the area are quite interesting to drive also.

We started the trip after a stop at the Sheetz in Huntingdon. Went out through Rothrock and then across Jacks Mountain Road to McVeytown and then into Tuscarora at Licking Creek Road.

It is beautifully maintained (almost too much for us overlanders) and has much natural beauty.

We did find a drivable trail sign designation. But ultimately all it meant was it had not been graded and packed gravel like the rest. It was rough...but not a challenge.

Debating what I am going to share. But I will dump my photos and am always open to discussing.

There will be none of my Google maps route for here though. It lost its mind just trying to get us from Rothrock to Licking Creek road. The lizard map however...was spot on. I love how they only include public roads.

Cell phone service is very odd in this area. Sites that had service made no sense as to the ones i thought would that didn't.

Lots of dead end roads. So not my usual loop style adventuring. But it is amazing what you miss by only traveling a road one direction.

2 sites were occupied. 13 and 11. I recorded fire pits and picnic tables. Distance from road and if Roof top tent ground tent or trailer acceptable. Cell phone service or not (AT&T).

Looks like this section would be great for fishermen. Lots of trout stocked waters.

Can not wait to get some dirt road wandering in the South section.

Reactions: Explorador

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Lots of info you have here, im curious of the purple maps, just ordered the 4 pack for PA. Thanks DevilDodge...
I have been struggling with the sharing of info lately. But, ultimately I know how hard it is to get out and scout these areas/sites. So if I can help someone plan a trip...it is worth it to me.

Wish I had known about this years ago. Especially the lizard maps.

They make it so easy to know where you are allowed to be and what is there for you. Pennsylvania has a lot of private property...and it is daunting trying to figure out if you can go down a road or camp somewhere. The Purple Lizard gives a great guide.

Reactions: Explorador

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Lots of info you have here, im curious of the purple maps, just ordered the 4 pack for PA. Thanks DevilDodge...
I have been struggling with the sharing of info lately. But, ultimately.....
I know who to poke if I have a question with the maps/routes perhaps I see you are very closed to me, we can go out some time.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Jon25

Here is where it is on the purple lizard map. They missed putting site 20 and site 19 has been abandoned. So it is not available to camp anymore.

Also. Site 14 has apparently been over tool by squatters. So it is unavailable now also.
Screenshot_20220520-203331~2.png

Reactions: Zach_42a0dc