• HTML tutorial

Verent Chan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lehi, UT
Member #

Hey everyone,

Anyone planning on being at Turf N Surf next weekend?

My wife and I are considering going, just not sure what to expect and we are not planning on playing in the dunes. It would be our first time camping out on the dunes, even though I've lived out here for over 10 years now.

Thanks!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I might take a ride out there if I’m around. I gave up on the dunes a long time ago, but I did go when the land cruiser club was having this event several years ago, so going when they’re out there will be fun. I live a few blocks from there and have only camped there once because some friends from out of state were dying to camp on the beach, I didn’t care for it but a lot of people love it. Be prepared for Lots of people, and usually people ripping around the dunes on quads at all hours of the night so bring ear plugs and or plenty of liquor. This time of year isn’t as bad as the summer, but if the weather sucks in the valley the toy haulers full of quads all head here. There’s a couple pit toilets out there and no water, so be ready for that. Obviously, sand will be in everything you bring by the end of the weekend. Air down plenty before you leave the hard pack sand, some days and spots are softer than others out there. You have to have a flag on your vehicle in the dunes, so make sure you figure out a place to attach one ahead of time. Zip ties work good for this, but it’s a lot easier to figure that out before you hit the sand. They sell the flags at all of the shops by the entrance or you can probably make something that will work at home, maybe something that attaches to a rack or hitch? they’re not really expensive enough to bother with though. Download a map of sand highway, there’s numbered marker posts and it can be a good reference to meet up with people and following it is usually the easiest way in and out of the dunes so you don’t end up stuck in a bowl somewhere trying to cut through all of the dunes and bowls the get to the beach. This is especially important at night and in the fog, that part is experience talking, pre-cell phone days...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm planning on going. Wanted to go last year and couldn't make it. Never camped out there and figured, why not do it once before I bail on CA. I'm sure it'll be noisy all night long, but I feel that's part of the fun. Now in the morning when I want to sleep in is when I'll be annoyed! HAHA. It'll be fun to see some of the rigs and take part in some of the events if it's not too much of a PITA packing up my RTT.

Verent Chan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lehi, UT
Member #

Where do people normally set up camp for this event? I've been out there for ATV's but only during the day.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Where do people normally set up camp for this event? I've been out there for ATV's but only during the day.
I have no idea. I just know people have been talking about near marker #6 on the beach. I'm just going to set up shop near everyone else. Hopefully there will be some other 4th Gen 4R's out there but I'm sure it'll be fun no matter who is around.

Reactions: SLO Rob

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

How about this year? Who is going? I hopefully will make it back home from work in time to leave thursday afternoon.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Im going again. Yeah. Its loud with people...oh...I dont know...having fun! So I dont care. You have to expect loud when going to places like Pismo. But I had fun and met lots of great people. Even got stuck in a bowl which taught me recovery. Then...helped someone else! Hope you make it there!

Reactions: SLO Rob and FJ81