• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

Trust! In Your Gear, Rig, and Homies?

It’s time to turn up your inner four-wheeler. This is probably the most important message you’ll ever hear about the off-pavement, overlanding, adventure-based lifestyle. Trust!

Have you asked yourself just who you (really) trust to spot your rig through a threatening obstacle? What about seeking your deepest thoughts on who in your fam do you trust to be there if something bad happens to you on the trail?

And what about your rig itself; do you trust it to get you home?

Trust in motorized recreation covers three general areas: 1) your gear; 2) your rig; and 3) your friends, homies, traveling companions.

Let’s talk about gear. Your tent, tools, air-up system, coffee pot, ice chest, and many other items come into play when wheeling that you just might HAVE to depend on. Do you trust them?

trust-dv-gear-coffee-pot-web.jpg

Trust in Gear

Is your PowerTank full? Are all your tools back in the tool bag where they belong? Will your tent hold up to wind? Is your phone/gps up to date and working properly?

The list of gear questions goes on. In simplest of terms, do a quick (even mental) inventory of your key gear and ask, “do I trust it to do its job?”

If you have something in your inventory that is questionable, make the time and effort to fix it or replace it.

Trust in Your Rig

Have you inspected/maintained the U-joints, including the front axle? Are your suspension parts up to date (good bushings)? Are your lockers working? What about your tires and brakes? Are they reliable in all situations you’ll encounter?

As you travel a trail and encounter an obstacle, will your rig do what it’s built to do? Do you trust it?

The list of rig questions is nearly endless – but so very important to ask. If you do NOT trust your rig or some aspect of it, FIX IT, or don’t use it beyond what you trust.

Do not get caught on some steep, loose rock, slippery hill climb uncertain if your front locker is going to work (because it has not been tested or used in forever).

Trust in Your Fam, Friends, and Homies

Here is where you have to get real. Are you hanging with some peeps in the backcountry because they are cool? Or do you sincerely trust them to be there if stuff goes bad on your end?

Do you like to party with some dudes but are not sure if they would really know how to revive you from a melt-down of some sort?

How do you rate your friends who claim to be “mechanically inclined” to work on your junk to get you home?

Figure out who you like, like to hang out with, and who you trust with your junk, your rig, your repairs, and your life. Yes, I’m suggesting people have categories. They can all fit in your life; just make sure you have the right person with you for the circumstances you are in.
trust-lassen_2013_albright_234-web.JPG

Trust is Essential to a Successful Adventure

You do not have to have the best, most expensive, this or that. You just have to get to the point where you TRUST that what you have will do the job it’s supposed to do. And do not go beyond your trust level with anything!

Now don’t get me wrong here. If you’re learning a new aspect of our sport, then sure, you might do new things you have not tried before. You might have uncertainties about your own skills; but you learn by trying with gear/equipment you trust, as well as a spotter you fully trust!

Keep getting outside and doing what you love to do – with some trusted components in the mix!

##

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I trust my rig and my gear and my wife.we normally wheel alone I dont have homies to trust. Even when you trust your rig and gear the scenarios you provide can still happen. Its Why things are called accidents you dont expect em. I agree you should check stuff every now and then( i do atleast once a month & i go through all the bolts and make sure they are tight) but there are many people out there who have zero mechanical skill and at that point you need a mechanic you can trust. In this world though trust is very hard to come by and things arent getting any better on that front.