Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
What to install? That's the question. After culling through many sources, I decided to go with a ham radio as the installed mobile, backed up with GMRS and CB handhelds. I figure this is the best combination for interoperability with club runs, and functionality in remote areas.

I settled on the Retevis RT95 as the mobile rig....

This radio features 70 watts in a compact dual band format. The six f-keys alongside the screens are programmable so I can memorize the most common functions I use, and it has 200 memory slots. It is programmable from software or CHIRP, so it should be fairly easy to set up, and there are many vids on YouTube for how to do it.

This radio also covers GMRS freqs in Tx/Rx... yes, I know!

Retevis-RT-95-Dual-Band-Transceiver-Header.jpg

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

What to install? That's the question. After culling through many sources, I decided to go with a ham radio as the installed mobile, backed up with GMRS and CB handhelds. I figure this is the best combination for interoperability with club runs, and functionality in remote areas.

This radio features 70 watts in a compact dual band format. The six f-keys alongside the screens are programmable so I can memorize the most common functions I use, and it has 200 memory slots. It is programmable from software or CHIRP, so it should be fairly easy to set up, and there are many vids on YouTube for how to do it.

View attachment 74989
Hey I'm curious if the radio is FCC Part 90 compliant

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

hey I am curious if you downloaded the programming software. If so, could you email it to me? I got one for Christmas and the website doesn't seem to be working lol

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

well, wouldn't you know it, I respond here requesting help, and decide to check and see if the website is still non-working.... and it's up now (8 hours later)

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

View attachment 74989
Looks very much like the Midland ham radio that just came out, probably the supplier for Midland. If I remember right it is a good price point. I would go for it.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Side.jpg Side.jpg Top.jpg
Looks very much like the Midland ham radio that just came out, probably the supplier for Midland. If I remember right it is a good price point. I would go for it.

I ahvent seen the Midland model yet - not on their website, wither. These are marketed under the Anytone name also, so I wouldnt be surprised if Midland bought them. I got one and installed it - works great! Easy to program, very good reception and transmission audio, excellent audio sound quality. It doesnt go very loud. The display is fantastic. Im pleased.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
View attachment 79798 View attachment 79798 View attachment 79799

I ahvent seen the Midland model yet - not on their website, wither. These are marketed under the Anytone name also, so I wouldnt be surprised if Midland bought them. I got one and installed it - works great! Easy to program, very good reception and transmission audio, excellent audio sound quality. It doesnt go very loud. The display is fantastic. Im pleased.
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago with a picture of it with the midland name on it. Someone said it was not in production yet and if I remember correctly it was 40 watts so lots less power.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/midlands-entry-into-ham-radio.20826/#post-283917