Truck topper

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Cairo, NE, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Stretch
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching and calling companies on a truck topper that will handle a rooftop tent. Anyone have options, I have seen pics of it done. Thanks again

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
anybody know who I can contact or any other posts on this subject?
Caravan campers out of Reno NV?
They have been around for at least 40 years. They make them out of Aluminum sheeting plate, and not the type that is like aluminum foil. They offer reinforced roofs for boats and racks, so check them out. Not cheap, but very durable with lots of options offered.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

0D976348-82B5-4CD1-B42F-756FBEB9DD48.jpegC0239DD8-DF1B-40BA-A55F-E84D4D746858.jpeg0EB3C4B2-3D5A-475C-9EAB-8DEE29E1856C.jpeg
This is what I came up with had the rack on the truck for years came across the topper on Craiglist for $100 figured I would give it try rack is supported by the four legs bolted thru the topper sealed with plumbers putty it made to give and stay sealed

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
View attachment 98847View attachment 98848View attachment 98852
This is what I came up with had the rack on the truck for years came across the topper on Craiglist for $100 figured I would give it try rack is supported by the four legs bolted thru the topper sealed with plumbers putty it made to give and stay sealed
caravan:9886598867 9886898869
Ambulance doors like a Land Rover, has interior shelf's, and they offer a positive pressure system to keep out dust. Made to fit Nissan, Tacoma, Tundra, Ford F150/250/350, Dodge, and Gmc/Chevy.

Nice build on the homemade cap. That Rack will hold enough supplies for a small army.

EDIT:****************
I also believe you can option out the side windows for lockable doors, thus creating a more secure area for your stuff. Similar to some of those hard side campers you see in South Africa, and in Australia. SEE THEIR OPTION PAGE.

Last edited:

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’m running an ARE z series with a 200 + lb
CVT Mt Ranger summit on it. So far so good .

I called CVT and the customer service rep stated they don’t recommend over 250 lbs on their standard fiberglass caps. I assumed that’s a dynamic 250 lbs...

That said I would’ve bought the ARE CX HD cap if I would’ve had plans for a RTT when I bought the cap. Check them out. They have a internal metal structure and are rated for a 550 lb roof load.

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I did a lot of research and it sounds like ARE is a great option -- cheaper than the Leer and the Snugtops but actually preferred by many. I just bought an ARE MX cap/topper/canopy and am waiting for the thing to arrive. I also spoke with a guy today in a sweet Z71 and he said that he used to have a Leer and now has the ARE and is much happier with it.

A.R.E. MX Series | Truck Caps & Toppers – Truck Hero

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I did a lot of research and it sounds like ARE is a great option -- cheaper than the Leer and the Snugtops but actually preferred by many. I just bought an ARE MX cap/topper/canopy and am waiting for the thing to arrive. I also spoke with a guy today in a sweet Z71 and he said that he used to have a Leer and now has the ARE and is much happier with it.

FYI, the MX is the higher version of the CX and can hold a rooftop tent (according to the dealer).

A.R.E. MX Series | Truck Caps & Toppers – Truck Hero

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have an ARE Overland Series. Looking at a RTT this Summer. Holds 250lbs. Their commercial line holds 500lbs from what I read.

I ordered mine with the carpet liner, double LED strip lights, and roof rack rails for Yakima cross bars. 2755D642-EF4B-40F8-8FDB-9F92C37C2832.jpegD3E32C06-9D5C-4DA6-B486-2E1E33C0C028.jpeg

Reactions: Tim Roberts