Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I have been watching overland trips and truck building for long time on YouTube, it's like replaced my sports and hollywood movies, but this is getting dry too as well. What is I'm noticed it's all Tacoma trucks and nothing more and all same, like all this can be get from your living room online, it's all same sh... all over as i repeating myself. All these people are trying to become dealer or make a buck on this stupid videos as we are click and watch at least for first few mins. It's terrible situation, I hope some one step up with some regulations, as this people are talking about truck and more likely never even go overloading, normal people don't even have a budget to spend 10 K to 15 K on suspension . Most of us here, the trucks are about half of the price just suspension build on these videos. They have the custom made racks and rock sliders are running 5 K to 10K .
Most these rigs are not suited for the family , as like Tacoma, I wanted to see do 300 - 400 miles per day with 2 adults and 2/3 children. Good luck
Plus all these guys are more and more wanted just to make video of some product they got for free, even freaking knife or or even pants, shoes , socks and eat, gibe me break.

I might look like to you, like cry baby, but listen just wanted to share my view point.

Reactions: GoliathF350

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

I have watched some of those. I enjoyed them at first. Most of my builds have occurred because I broke something and had to replace it with something beefier. Overlanding means so many different things to different people. That is why I love the phrase on this site "we don't care what you drive." I would rather admire the awning on a vw beetle that someone is using or the camper wagon on a f150 than have it be about the stuff. For me the experience the adventures the stories don't depend on what you drive. Glad you are on this site.

Reactions: GoliathF350

GoliathF350

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

309 North Garden Avenue, Siler City, North Carolina 27344, United States
First Name
Izzy
Last Name
H
Member #

I mostly agree with you. you can't blame alot of them because if i could paid for traveling and making videos of everything I do, I would be doing it BUT I'm a do it myself type of person and i do things as to how i see fit. And i will not pay $1000 for a roofrack i can build myself for $150. i take pride in saying I BUILT THAT SHIT.... and i build to fit my needs of what I'm going to use it for. the only thing that's on my rig that i didn't build out scratch is my Brushguard but i did modify it.

GoliathF350

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

309 North Garden Avenue, Siler City, North Carolina 27344, United States
First Name
Izzy
Last Name
H
Member #

I mostly agree with you. you can't blame alot of them because if i could paid for traveling and making videos of everything I do, I would be doing it BUT I'm a do it myself type of person and i do things as to how i see fit. And i will not pay $1000 for a roofrack i can build myself for $150. i take pride in saying I BUILT THAT SHIT.... and i build to fit my needs of what I'm going to use it for. the only thing on my rig that i didn't build out scratch is my Brushguard but i did modify it.
and remember this ALL those products and accessories are mad because some guy like you or me came up with the idea. and then these companies mass produce them.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Here are two that are more about the trip than the gear.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Here are two that are more about the trip than the gear.

I will mostly agree with you guys. One channel that I really like is Dirt Lifestyle. Yes it's mostly about jeeps, but he fabricates everything himself, and is currently building a Disco 2.

One thing I'm doing as I try to plan my channel out (I've not launched it yet, so this is not a plug) is to not buy a ton of pre-built products for it, and most of it is diy and custom built. I'm not a fabricator and I don't own a welder.

Having met both Donald (soft roading) and Casey (coyoteworks), I really like that both of them focus on camping and the trips, and not so much on the vehicles.

Casey's jeep is basically stock, with the RTT being his big mod.

Donald has built most of the mods for his Subi himself, which is great.

I just don't think anyone needs to buy a $35k vehicle, and spend another $10-15k in uogrades to call themselves an overlander. It's just not necessary. If they have the money to do it..... Good for them. Most of us don't though.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I watch YouTube for fun mostly and very little for info. Most of what I watch is catfishing videos, adventure with a purpose, 4wd 24/7, whistling diesel destroy his trucks, googan squad, Scott Martin, etc.

I've never watched a video with the expectation of it to teach something, it may give me an idea but I wouldn't buy some fancy product cuz someone says it is good. Id try to make my own. If I can't make it or afford it I don't need it.

I built my truck based on what I've seen in Australia because they had the holden colorado and Isuzu d max longer than we've had the chevy colorado in the states. And everything they do has a purpose they dont screw around with junk products.

Figure out what you want and just go for it.
If you want to stay stock and run Forrest roads or just get to a establish campsite thats fine.
Or slightly modify it and hit some of the undeveloped side trails.
Our you can go full pickle and be able to go about anywhere you want offroad trail or not.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don’t watch many videos, I was in the media /movie business, how they earn a income is, followers maybe display adds and sponsorship. It does take a a ton of time to produce a 20 min video, most these guys are self trained and post production takes lots of time to process. What they do is a real job and I do respect what they are trying to do, having the ability to upload a major limiting issue for them.
I am far more likely to watch a travel based video as to a build video. I interest is how they over come road issues and unique places, not gear stuff. I see most of the gear stuff as fashion and marketing.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nah, I wouldn't call you a whiner. Overall, I agree with the sentiment. YouTube is for making money now and "Overlanding" has become a buzz word. It was only a matter of time before the market was flooded with folks who are primarily looking to make a buck.

There are good creators out there. Just like shopping for products, you gotta put the work in to filter out the rabble.

Reactions: MMc

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I get your point. If you want to, look at this guy here:

I chose the video more randomly but this guy is somewhat on another level... Not this polished 100% political correct youtube lander.

Reactions: kilby

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

It was the same with TJs in the early 2000s. I like unique builds... the kind of stuff you see here. Y'all are rad!