trips getting too big?

• HTML tutorial

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

So i put together a trip in july. 2019 will be the 3rd running. It started off as a bunch of friends that could commit to a big trip on a set date. 2017 there were 14 of us. It was great.
This year there were 23 people. 11 trucks and 2 bikez. It was a blast.
In 2019 we are looking at close to 30 people. Maybe more.

I planned 2019 with a route that will work, but what about 2020?
I dont want to say no, but how do i limit it a bit? I thought about mandatory gear lists. That would opt out some probably. Also thought about registration fee, but thats not my style.
How do you guys keep groups from getting too big? Even for casual trips? Any thoughts?

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Isn't it an awesome problem to have? This is an issue I have been thinking a lot about as the Washington gatherings continue to grow. Perhaps making it first-come first-serve by setting a rally point with a only 10 or 15 RSVPs? That way it is up to those individuals to take the initiative.

Reactions: Rexplorer

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Depending on the trails or camping style and then make the qualifications of gear that each vehicle needs to have to meet those goals. Much like my trip to CO., last year and our leader let a guy come along with a Honda Ridgeline. That took the fun out of the trip for most of us as we had to cater to his vehicle. Next year, we might have a pre run on a similar trail here and if you can't complete the trail or you whine about the trail then sorry and thanks for playing.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Depending on the trails or camping style and then make the qualifications of gear that each vehicle needs to have to meet those goals. Much like my trip to CO., last year and our leader let a guy come along with a Honda Ridgeline. That took the fun out of the trip for most of us as we had to cater to his vehicle. Next year, we might have a pre run on a similar trail here and if you can't complete the trail or you whine about the trail then sorry and thanks for playing.
One guy has a subaru. He drives it well, but he carries lots of spare parts. Never been the weakest link though.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Decide the number that you want to accommodate, and set the limit. It doesn't sound like you know that number?
I would be pretty firm on a number, and once you've reached that, close it out and put it out that if someone wants to organize a run leaving the next day, the next week, or coming the other way (meet in the middle idea), that's a possibility.
If you don't manage it to some degree, it will collapse under it's own weight, too many people, people with inappropriate gear or the wrong vehicle, wrong attitudes, the list goes on.

Easter Jeep Safari started off with 20 or so buddies hitting some Moab trails, it's taken a large group of dedicated volunteers to keep that afloat.
Not that your goal is EJS-sized, but if you don't manage it, IT will manage you.

FWIW, Dan.

Reactions: Rexplorer and Jedi

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Decide the number that you want to accommodate, and set the limit. It doesn't sound like you know that number?
I would be pretty firm on a number, and once you've reached that, close it out and put it out that if someone wants to organize a run leaving the next day, the next week, or coming the other way (meet in the middle idea), that's a possibility.
If you don't manage it to some degree, it will collapse under it's own weight, too many people, people with inappropriate gear or the wrong vehicle, wrong attitudes, the list goes on.

Easter Jeep Safari started off with 20 or so buddies hitting some Moab trails, it's taken a large group of dedicated volunteers to keep that afloat.
Not that your goal is EJS-sized, but if you don't manage it, IT will manage you.

FWIW, Dan.
Very well said Dan!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

From a small group perspective this is a great problem to have as we said before. I would be inclined to elect a second leader, which I’m sure by now you have someone in mind, and have them take half the people, and you take half the people. If size allows then I would elect a third leader and do the same with them.

Small group dynamics statistics show that 10 to 12 people are the ideal size for a small group. While this may be a church statistic for small groups existing within the church, the same goes for secular small groups like this one.

Two or three different leaders and two or three different routes would likely solve your problem, then would continue to increase your reach and the amount of fun people have in the sport.

James

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

So i put together a trip in july. 2019 will be the 3rd running. It started off as a bunch of friends that could commit to a big trip on a set date. 2017 there were 14 of us. It was great.
This year there were 23 people. 11 trucks and 2 bikez. It was a blast.
In 2019 we are looking at close to 30 people. Maybe more.

I planned 2019 with a route that will work, but what about 2020?
I dont want to say no, but how do i limit it a bit? I thought about mandatory gear lists. That would opt out some probably. Also thought about registration fee, but thats not my style.
How do you guys keep groups from getting too big? Even for casual trips? Any thoughts?
Do you currently use Rally Point when you plan the trips?
There are settings in there you can use to limit RSVP numbers, Set mandatory equipment, etc... We are updating RP constantly to make planning trips easier. For the sake of your sanity, and sometimes the sake of the ecosystems you are running through, it is important to set limits on trips. Don't worry about people feeling left out. There is only so much you can put into a single trip.
I like the idea of doing a limited core group running the whole trip, and maybe have a meetup somewhere along the way to hang with others. Or open your longer trips up so that some folks can join you on short legs of it. Just spit balling here.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

From a small group perspective this is a great problem to have as we said before. I would be inclined to elect a second leader, which I’m sure by now you have someone in mind, and have them take half the people, and you take half the people. If size allows then I would elect a third leader and do the same with them.

Small group dynamics statistics show that 10 to 12 people are the ideal size for a small group. While this may be a church statistic for small groups existing within the church, the same goes for secular small groups like this one.

Two or three different leaders and two or three different routes would likely solve your problem, then would continue to increase your reach and the amount of fun people have in the sport.

James
The group I hang out with does a fall "rendezvous" and we always split the group up in to two. This also helps to make sure no one is too far for proper radio contact which you can get if groups get too long.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I think if you set a restriction on the vehicle like tires must be this size or bigger. Must have a winch and so on. If you put those kind of limits on it then you will eliminate the ones who don’t have a specific vehicle that is self sufficient for moderate off roading

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Lots of options, as mentioned above.
Sometimes ya just gotta day NO.
My large trips are a select crew that I know can commit and are always prepared.
Limit the invite, don’t announce the trip. Teach others how to build, plan and lead trips.
They will thrive.
Rolling Meet & Greets fill the gaps in the meantime.
Don’t lose your value of fun!!