Trip To The Triangle - Any Tasmania Tips?

• HTML tutorial

BrunySpec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canberra, Australia
Member #

O.B Aussies,

Well in just under 3 weeks the family and I are off to Tasmania for a month, touring around and soaking up as much overlanding as possible. Basically doing the loop, going to iconic tracks, tackling some, leaving others, camping remotely, camping in parks etc. Rough plan is Arthur River, Milkshake Hills, Corinna, Trial Harbour, Lake St Claire, Mt Field, Southport, Hobart, Bruny Island, Freycinet, Douglas Aspey, Bay of Fires, Bridport, Launceston, Ben Lomond.

Looking for any advice from any members who have been to Tassie regarding anything from cool spots to tourist trails.Obviously there are POI (Points of Interest) all over the place, such as the airwalks (Tahune & Tarkine), meseums and restored steam trains but if you can think of one please speak up!

With a 4 yr old, 6 yr old and my wife in tow some of the more epic stuff (IMO) will be subject to compromise. Also, overlanding with the family is about enjoying experiences so want to keep the little ones interested and excited at the prospect of a new day.

I notice we don't have any members in Tassie, hope to do something about that @Michael!

Any comments more than appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo

BrunySpec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canberra, Australia
Member #

Oh, almost forgot... Hoping to visit these roads with the drone:

Mount Barrow.jpg
Mount Barrow is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 1.413 metres (4,636 ft) above the sea level, located just east of Launceston in north east Tasmania. The drive is stunning. Avoid driving in this area if unpaved mountain roads aren't your strong point. Stay away if you're scared of heights.

It's one of the most scenic drives in the world.

Jacobs Ladder.jpg
Jacob’s Ladder is the name of the sharply winding and precipitous ascent in a a steep and narrow zig-zag road in Ben Lomond Ranges, Tasmania. The road climbs up to Ben Lomond Mountain, at an elevation of 1.570 meters (5,150 ft) above the sea level. The road is unsealed and the final climb up Jacob’s Ladder to the plateau is steep.

It’s one of the famous hairpinned roads in the world.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh, almost forgot... Hoping to visit these roads with the drone:

View attachment 11734
Mount Barrow is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 1.413 metres (4,636 ft) above the sea level, located just east of Launceston in north east Tasmania. The drive is stunning. Avoid driving in this area if unpaved mountain roads aren't your strong point. Stay away if you're scared of heights.

It's one of the most scenic drives in the world.

View attachment 11735
Jacob’s Ladder is the name of the sharply winding and precipitous ascent in a a steep and narrow zig-zag road in Ben Lomond Ranges, Tasmania. The road climbs up to Ben Lomond Mountain, at an elevation of 1.570 meters (5,150 ft) above the sea level. The road is unsealed and the final climb up Jacob’s Ladder to the plateau is steep.

It’s one of the famous hairpinned roads in the world.
That sounds like an amazing journey! Your kids will remember it forever! I look forward to seeing some pictures and perhaps some drone shots!

M

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Launceston Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

hey hey,

How did your trip down here go? I'm new to this forum/crew and new to the offroad scene. Did you get to sawback ridge or repulse in Ouse? Hopefully you had a great visit and will be back for more. Video looked great....think I'll have to go get myself a drone..

Tinsel.