Trip to Portland from SF Bay Area

• HTML tutorial

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Hi everyone! I'm planning a trip to Oregon in early December to meet up with the guys at Ironman 4x4. I will be traveling from the SF Bay Area. Any of you have done similar treks? I would appreciate if you can share some potential camping locations along the way. Or just general can't miss spots. My truck is outfit to be able to camp off-grid. How's the weather in the area around that time of the year? Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Vu

Krycol08

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Krystle
Last Name
Cahill
Member #

Hi everyone! I'm planning a trip to Oregon in early December to meet up with the guys at Ironman 4x4. I will be traveling from the SF Bay Area. Any of you have done similar treks? I would appreciate if you can share some potential camping locations along the way. Or just general can't miss spots. My truck is outfit to be able to camp off-grid. How's the weather in the area around that time of the year? Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Vu
Hi! PDXer here. Which direction are you planning on coming up? Also you’ll find pretty variable weather depending on how you come up. We’re already getting snow in the mountain areas. But one thing for sure expect all the rain in Portland and surrounding areas

Reactions: OnlyTaco

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Vu
Hi! PDXer here. Which direction are you planning on coming up? Also you’ll find pretty variable weather depending on how you come up. We’re already getting snow in the mountain areas. But one thing for sure expect all the rain in Portland and surrounding areas
I think I will be heading up via I-5 most of the way. On the way back I can be a bit more flexible.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I-5 can be boring, Hwy-101 is the scenic route, few hours longer, not counting all the stops for the cool stuff you'll see.

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

Tons of views and places on the coast but not much dispersed camping. I-5 is gonna be like I-80 to Reno. Check the roads from Redding to Medford that will be to worst winter section

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Due to your time of year and weather conditions also availability of camping; if you can take a long route, maybe try I-5 to Weed, CA then head NE up 97 to Klamath Falls, Bend, and Hood River on to Portland. Or if you want to go home that way…..

Drier, high desert the further inland. Less water, fire bans have been lifted. So nice to have a big bonfire and see the stars and horizon. Unless you like camping in the big forrest, wet. Check the weather for sure. Best of luck! Have a great trip!

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Due to your time of year and weather conditions also availability of camping; if you can take a long route, maybe try I-5 to Weed, CA then head NE up 97 to Klamath Falls, Bend, and Hood River on to Portland. Or if you want to go home that way…..

Drier, high desert the further inland. Less water, fire bans have been lifted. So nice to have a big bonfire and see the stars and horizon. Unless you like camping in the big forrest, wet. Check the weather for sure. Best of luck! Have a great trip!

Thanks so much. I was looking at that exact route actually. Might have to make it happen. Thanks for the tips

Reactions: KAIONE