trip to Baja Mexico, bajarovers.org

• HTML tutorial

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

I was just thinking about doing a trip down to Baja. The website says that it's only open to Defenders with roof top tents. How open would is it for a Discovery with a ground tent?!

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
This trip is right before the Baja 1000! be careful and know people will be pre-running and chase teams on the highway.

On a side note I will be chasing for Wide Open Baja during the baja 1000. Will anyone else be down there? I will be there from Nov 12-20

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

I was going back and forth on if I wanted to go the week before Baja 1000 or just jump into the chaos. I think if we could round up a group to go with some indicative guidance I might push it out a week.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Go the week of the race. It's fun just to spectate and hit some trails to watch the TT trucks go by.
There will be plenty of people down there to tell you where a good spot to watch is, or once the map is out take any access road to the track and watch from there.

Good gps is a must and carry a VHF radio with you. Even the small 5 watt from PCI website is better than nothing. If you get it from them it will come preprogrammed with the popular channels.

A must is eat at Big Burro on the outskirts of Ensenada when heading south!

Reactions: Ezalis

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

Cool! I might need to change my plan then. I do have some spare radios from living in FL and going to race events at Daytona and Sebring. Is it going to be tough to find areas for camping that week?

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Camping near Ensenada maybe, but out in the deser no, camp anywhere!

Getting a room in Ensenada may be tricky start looking now

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Ezalis, the map of the course was released last Saturday. Take a look at it, this will be an awesome race to spectate because you can catch the cars going down the peninsula and back up. Once the gps files are out we will know more of were the course is on the hw vs dirt next to hw, also access roads to the course.

http://score-international.com/raceinfo/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/B1000-Prelim-LS-conv.pdf

One idea to watch this race from start to middle/end:
On race day head in the morning to race mile 30, its a highway crossing. Watch the TT go by and maybe some other classes. Get back in the car and drive to race mile 590-630, drive around and find a good camp spot. It will be night time before any TT show up again. The race coarse should be right next to the highway and makes for watching the race easy and fun.

For more off the grid watching and camping we will have to wait for a better map so I know were access roads are. The remote parts of the course are fun, you set your campground, have a cold one, and enjoy the cars go by. Going down Hw 1 there are more towns and spots to eat. Hw 3 there is only Valley Trinidad just before RM 590 to get gas and some tacos

I will be driving all over the place during the race chasing for what looks like 10 cars this year... no sleep..

Last edited:

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Cool! I might need to change my plan then. I do have some spare radios from living in FL and going to race events at Daytona and Sebring. Is it going to be tough to find areas for camping that week?
Old post but wanted to ask if you guys changed the dates on the trip. I'm leaving nocal Saturday morning and hope to arrive in Ensenada 7-9pm. Will be there all week and coming back sunday.

Its going to be an interesting race with race and chase traffic going both ways on the highway :grimacing: