Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

This is something ive broken down from my military operations order. Ive simplified the planning process to overlanding specific but its a good list of things to do in order to ensure a good trip.

Step 1. Make a tentative plan.
Set out the basics of the trip. The 5 w's is a good start. Whos going, what your doing ,where youll be traveling, when will you leave and return, why are you going ( normal camping vs. Offroad rally at moab). With this info you can move on specified tasks ie. Ensuring oil and tranny are serviced, securing travel documents in case of cross border trips etc.. courses of action are also needed in step 1. Mostly routes to and from as well as travel dates are a good start. Once youve analyzed the COA you make a decision on 1.

Step 2. Start necessary movement.
This step can happen at any time durring the trip planning process. All that happens durring step 2 is completing the necessary tasks to ensure the trip bappens. Packing, fueling, purchasing new gear, and of course vehicle maintenance.

Step 3. Reconnoiter.
This step also begins in the tentative plan but will need refinement as you move foreward. Detailed trip info is found out in this step. Whats the weather, best travel times, cost of events, where are the closest ammenities, rescue assets in the area. Best sites to see on the trip etc.. ive found the more detailed info the better i feel prepared

Step 4. Complete the plan.
Not much to this but making sure everyone on the adventure knows the details. ie. If the driver needs to sleep on the way in does the second driver know the route and what happens when you arrive.

Step 5. Supervise and refine.
One thing ive learned in my 16 years of servise is the plan always changes somewhere along the way. Be flexible but knoledgable. Conduct rehersals if you can. Set up your tent and make sure you have all the necessary parts. Practice getting your recovery gear out and make sure its placement makes sence to when you nees it. Does your equipment work. Radio and navigation checks are a food idea. Make sure the winch can still winch. And last but not least medical. Where is my aid kit. Does it have what i need for injuries i am likely to see on the trip and am i well rehearsed in rendering that aid. Confidence in medical treatment gives confidance to the individual recieving the treatment.

This is a basic list or a thought process i find usefull when going out. It may be a little to much for your personal prefrwnce but i am sure in some way shape or form you hit all or most of these topics. I hope this is helpful and your next trip is enjoyable.