US West Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH
MEET UP SUNDAY MARCH 14th
We will be at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park this coming Sunday 1-3pm. We will be doing some hands on training with recovery options when out on the trail including the pros and cons of various options. We will also be discussing safe winch use and principles of operation and demonstrating some good old winching.

For those going Saturday on the snow run we are looking forward to hearing your recovery stories!
1615351399098.jpeg

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

Shane B

Rank I

Contributor I

Martinez, Ca
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Berry
Member #

We will be at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park this coming Sunday 1-3pm. We will be doing some hands on training with recovery options when out on the trail including the pros and cons of various options. We will also be discussing safe winch use and principles of operation and demonstrating some good old winching.

For those going Saturday on the snow run we are looking forward to hearing your recovery stories!
View attachment 190604
See everyone sunday

Reactions: PapaDave

SWLands

Rank III

Member III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I have a brand new winch, but I read you should unspool the rope and then wind it in under a little tension before you use it, and that you leave some number of winds on the spool before you apply load. I hope we get to talk about stuff like this - it is all new for me.

See you all Sunday!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I have a brand new winch, but I read you should unspool the rope and then wind it in under a little tension before you use it, and that you leave some number of winds on the spool before you apply load. I hope we get to talk about stuff like this - it is all new for me.

See you all Sunday!
The idea is to spool the rope under tension so that when you use it for a recovery the top windings don't constrict and "cut" down in between the lower ones. One option is to hook the winch to a dead weight (tree, another truck), set your parking break slightly or have someone ride the brakes, and then winch in. Alternatively you can winch up a slight hill to tension the rope. I bet you can find someone to help out at the meet up this weekend.

Overlandenthusiast

Rank IV

Member III

Belmont, California, USA
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

View attachment 190604
We won’t be able to make today. Yesterday’s trip to MET was fun. Awesome recovery stories and lots of learning.

@PapaDave My vehicle got stuck once and we have a recovery video for you :)

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH
Great meet up today everyone! Wow we had a lot of people!

I really appreciated all of the input and group participation regarding winching, recovery ropes, and traction boards. Good stuff.

Two things I want to address really quick, one is that post #2 on this massive thread is where I update the current info for each month and where our yearly schedule is laid out. Easy way to get info if you miss a post that gets buried in the thread.

Second thing is for the month of May our event was TBD and I had a great suggestion today from a member about doing a Hollister Hills day. So my thought is in lieu of our monthly meet up we could do a Saturday event down at Hollister Hills OHV Park with camping. Little different but it’s not too far, allows us to get some experience on the features they have there and be able to camp out Saturday night.

Thoughts?

SWLands

Rank III

Member III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Hollister Hills would suit me just fine - I would like someone spotting me so I get a feel for picking a line without my truck doing too much feeling in the wrong places.

How many rigs can camp there? It would be easy enough for me to drive down from Oakland on the day.

Roger 2486

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

IMPORTANT—PLEASE READ
On this post:
1—Current monthly info at a glance
2—Yearly calendar plan at the bottom of this post

MARCH 2021 AT A GLANCE
We are meeting March 14th at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, we took a vote last month and most expressed the desire to meet there in the future. We will meet 1-3pm in the parking lot all the way to the right of the lot. Bring your own chair and lunch. Meetings vary on topic but usually we review practical hands on matter of overlanding, addressing calendar dates, and discussing or debriefing of a trip.

March 13th MET Snow Trip
Mormon Immigrant Trail snow day trip
Leave 7am, bring traction boards, shovels, recovery ropes, plan to get stuck :)

Pleasanton Regional Park
9801 Foothill Rd
Sunol, CA 94586
View attachment 185071

2021 YEARLY CALENDAR PLAN*

I have talked to a large number of our bay area members and the consensus is most people can take a Friday off if they know about the date in advance. The benefit to leaving early Friday is we can drive a little further and get onto the trail to tackle some great trips over a weekend. Longer trips like Death Valley and Anza Borrego might need additional days, but the goal is weekend trips that most people can attend. Throughout the year there will be varying levels of difficulty so pick one that suits you best. Rally Points for each trip will be posted about a month in advance, not before then.
________________________________________________________________________________________

February 19-21st Lost Coast Trip to Usal Beach, Avenue of the Giants, Fern Canyon (EASY)

March 13th Mormon Emmigrant Trail Snow day, IF there’s snow

April 23-25th Mojave Road Trail Clean Up (EASY)

May- TBD

June 24-26th Bear Lake 39.04918 -120.22813, weekend by the lake, Thursday arrival due to increased weekend use (EASY WITH OPTIONS FOR DIFFICULT) we take the easy portion of the Rubicon to the lake, but more difficult sections are close

July 16-18th Bodie Ghost town and Copper Mountain (EASY)

August 27-29th Funnel Lakes area (MODERATE)

September 23-26th Overland Expo West, Flagstaff AZ

October 21-24th Death Valley (MODERATE TO DIFFICULT)

December 2-5th Anza Borrego (MODERATE)

*subject to change and local COVID guidelines
Got a trip idea? Let me know.
Great meet up today everyone! Wow we had a lot of people!

I really appreciated all of the input and group participation regarding winching, recovery ropes, and traction boards. Good stuff.

Two things I want to address really quick, one is that post #2 on this massive thread is where I update the current info for each month and where our yearly schedule is laid out. Easy way to get info if you miss a post that gets buried in the thread.

Second thing is for the month of May our event was TBD and I had a great suggestion today from a member about doing a Hollister Hills day. So my thought is in lieu of our monthly meet up we could do a Saturday event down at Hollister Hills OHV Park with camping. Little different but it’s not too far, allows us to get some experience on the features they have there and be able to camp out Saturday night.

Thoughts?
Sorry to have missed today’s meeting. Working hard on getting the JT prepped for some outings. Looking forward t reconnecting at the next meeting and scheduled events. All the best!

Reactions: Ray O and PapaDave

rho

Rank V

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB
Bummed to have missed everything this weekend, my partner threw out their back so I'd been taking care of everything all weekend...

It looks like yall had fun out there on the MET! Snow wheeling is a fun beast :D