Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

New to the group, located in Kennewick. Setup is a 2001 Jeep WJ looking for ideas so I can start planning some trips for next year. Anyone on the east side and have some good 1 or 2 day runs they'd like to share?20190810_133504.jpg20190810_081451.jpg

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Welcome, welcome! I am not in Tri-Cities, but in Yakima(Selah) area. I would love to put together a run, weekend style in the area. There is no shortage of places to go out this way. There are not a lot of us in the central Wa. area, but there are a few. There are also a bunch in the Spokane area.
Looks like a nice rig. Should go anywhere you want to go.
Let us know if you are interested in setting up a meet/weekend trip.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've spent some time in the hills over your way around Naches and Rimrock but mainly on dirt bikes. Just got the WJ together this past spring and only made it out on a couple of trips in the Blue Mtns. I would totally be interested in some trips over that way, was already planning to go run Manashtash ridge next spring once the snow was gone. Maybe a trip up past bumping lake to Copper City and around that area.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Hey, welcome aboard. There are quite a few of us in Spokane. Some of the best places up here to go exploring and camping is actually in Idaho. But there are some really cool places in North Eastern WA as well.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks for the welcome Dilldog, I really like the woods around north Idaho. Hopefully I can get in a trip up that direction at some point. I lived in Pullman for 10 years before moving back to the Tri Cities and had some friends I would ride with in north Idaho. Do you run with a club in Spokane or just meet up and go on trail runs?

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly I have not been super active about getting out. One of my close personal friends is very active in overland style travel and he has kinda been encouraging me. A friend of his actually got me to join the site. I have been hesitant as I decided to sell my Built Toyota in favor of a cross over SUV wich better fits my life style and the needs of my family. But I have been welcomed none the less and come to find out theres quite a few people here running Ford Escapes, Honda CRVs, and Toyota RAV4s. Last weekend was actually my first trail run in my Escape and I was very pleased by it. It was the most extreme trip to the worst soccer field ever, lol. That is to say in a round about way, no I do not belong to any clubs (unless you count the motorcycle club my wife and I started, but thats a story best told with beer and whiskey).
I have been really wanting to return to the Roosevelt Grove of Cedars soon. Theres primitive camping there, while the drive is far from extreme its an amazing place to camp and a decent trail run could probably be planned starting from there.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Honestly I have not been super active about getting out. One of my close personal friends is very active in overland style travel and he has kinda been encouraging me. A friend of his actually got me to join the site. I have been hesitant as I decided to sell my Built Toyota in favor of a cross over SUV wich better fits my life style and the needs of my family. But I have been welcomed none the less and come to find out theres quite a few people here running Ford Escapes, Honda CRVs, and Toyota RAV4s. Last weekend was actually my first trail run in my Escape and I was very pleased by it. It was the most extreme trip to the worst soccer field ever, lol. That is to say in a round about way, no I do not belong to any clubs (unless you count the motorcycle club my wife and I started, but thats a story best told with beer and whiskey).
I have been really wanting to return to the Roosevelt Grove of Cedars soon. Theres primitive camping there, while the drive is far from extreme its an amazing place to camp and a decent trail run could probably be planned starting from there.
While it seems to be the norm around here, not all of us have $50K to buy and build Toyotas or Jeeps. Many of us run more humble vehicle with few mods. I dream of a fully tricked out truck, but for now I am happy to just have what I have. My wife has a 2017 Escape, but it is only 2wd and really sucks on anything other than a flat gravel road. I wish it was 4wd.
I run an old Suburban and it meets my needs. We just need to get out there and do it. (Nike?) I am up for a run before the weather shuts down all the trails, or in the spring when things open back up.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly the little run I went on we ran into quite a bit of snow, I was very worried. But the old Escape never even slipped under power. But I will say I wouldnt dream of going much of anywhere off pavement without the high lift and traction boards, and it certainly is not a rig for any serious trail...
As far as runs go, Im done for the winter, but in spring I will be up for getting out more.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

While it seems to be the norm around here, not all of us have $50K to buy and build Toyotas or Jeeps. Many of us run more humble vehicle with few mods. I dream of a fully tricked out truck, but for now I am happy to just have what I have. My wife has a 2017 Escape, but it is only 2wd and really sucks on anything other than a flat gravel road. I wish it was 4wd.
I run an old Suburban and it meets my needs. We just need to get out there and do it. (Nike?) I am up for a run before the weather shuts down all the trails, or in the spring when things open back up.
I would love to get out one more time this year, but I'm busy every weekend until mid Dec. I'm with you on running a more humble rig, I think I'm around $4k into my WJ. While I would love a new JKU with $40k of upgrades I love my WJ and I'm not worried about scratches and dents. With a little bit of time and the right upgrades it will be a very capable rig off road and comfortable too. But more so it gets me out on the trails and that's what we're all here for, doesn't matter what you run or how many upgrades you have just get out there and explore.

Reactions: kkriewald

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

New to the group, located in Kennewick. Setup is a 2001 Jeep WJ looking for ideas so I can start planning some trips for next year. Anyone on the east side and have some good 1 or 2 day runs they'd like to share?View attachment 124985View attachment 124986
Welcome!

Here are a few tips to get you started:
-Check out the Rally Point system and the Member Map for events and other people around you. Super helpful.
-Our region also has a FB page.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me or tag me in the forums at @Gabriel Bozeman.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
... I'm with you on running a more humble rig... doesn't matter what you run or how many upgrades you have just get out there and explore.
This is me 100%. I get weird looks when I tell people that Intend to and have taken my rig off road. Then when I have gone off road with it I get comments of surprise. Honestly most people dont need half the rig they have. The motivation to get out is the most important, followed closely by a calm demeanor when on the trail and realistic expectations. This general sentiment is why I stick around, and ended up buying a membership. I have been on lots of 4x4 message boards and this community is the best I have found. They are inclusive while not being unrealistic (members will tell you if they dont think its a good idea, but at the same time tend to be encouraging). Its just a really great place to be a part of.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

This is me 100%. I get weird looks when I tell people that Intend to and have taken my rig off road. Then when I have gone off road with it I get comments of surprise. Honestly most people dont need half the rig they have. The motivation to get out is the most important, followed closely by a calm demeanor when on the trail and realistic expectations. This general sentiment is why I stick around, and ended up buying a membership. I have been on lots of 4x4 message boards and this community is the best I have found. They are inclusive while not being unrealistic (members will tell you if they dont think its a good idea, but at the same time tend to be encouraging). Its just a really great place to be a part of.
I honestly ran from the Overlanding community years ago, because of groups that for lack of a better word "rig shamed". One group that I belonged to wouldn't let you post pictures of you rig if it had dents or damage. The word Overland really was a bad word to me for a long time. I wheel, and I camp. Then I found Overland Bound, the core principles are exactly as I feel. I really love this group so far.

Reactions: Dilldog

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome to the forums, La Grande here. April Fools Jubilee Lake Run is a fun spring run. usually get lots of snow, mud and rock. later on in the year I make several trips from Jubilee Lake to Sumptner Oregon, down to Baker City, up to Halfway, then up to Imnaha, from there drop into Joseph and Wallowa Lake, take some back roads into Troy Oregon, then down to Denton Washington. From Denton I head to Milton Freewater and Adams Oregon where I hit some more trails back to Jubilee Lake and back home to La Grande... whole trip can be done in three days, but usually I take about a week to see everything and explore along the way

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ohh I forgot to mention two other runs coming up here.... Turkey day Point prominance tower run, and The December Mt Emily Snow Challenge.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

That first run from Jubilee down to Baker city and around sounds like a good time, I might have to look into that sometime. Jubilee lake area is a favorite for me and the wife, short drive from home and some nice day trips once you get there. We usually head up to Timothy springs to camp to get away from the crowds at the lake. From there Table rock is a short drive up Skyline rd. and offers some good pictures. Or you can go east to the lookout tower that over looks the Grand Ronde. Been thinking about doing a trip that starts in Dayton, runs down to Jubilee via Skyline, over to Troy and back up to Pomeroy area. Doesn't cover a whole lot territory but could be made into a good weekend getaway.

Bulldog45k

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richland,Wa
First Name
Brian
Last Name
L
Member #

New to the group, located in Kennewick. Setup is a 2001 Jeep WJ looking for ideas so I can start planning some trips for next year. Anyone on the east side and have some good 1 or 2 day runs they'd like to share?View attachment 124985View attachment 124986
Hi there! Im new to the geoup also. Live in Richland. Putting together an 01 Cherokee xj. Im also looking for some future runs and some people to run with in the area. Feel free to message me if you wanna get a run planned or just wanna go test the rigs a bit!

Reactions: 18163.175

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hi there! Im new to the geoup also. Live in Richland. Putting together an 01 Cherokee xj. Im also looking for some future runs and some people to run with in the area. Feel free to message me if you wanna get a run planned or just wanna go test the rigs a bit!
I'm probably done with any multi day trips until spring, now that things have slowed down at work I have some projects planned that will have the jeep down for a bit. Maybe between projects we can find somewhere local to go test things though. Where do like to go around here? We usually head up to the blues or up out of Naches. Also I think there is a few other members in the TC area, might have to find a brewery or lunch spot to meet up and talk shop and future runs.