Tree Savers

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
What type of tree savers are everyone using? Thought about going with ARB since their name generally denotes a product with amazing quality, but wondering if anyone else is utilizing another manufacturer with amazing results.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Reactions: Lindenwood and 000

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I have mine made by a local company that makes straps for commercial companies they will make what I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
I just went on to Quadratech and ordered one that fit my safety needs and didn't kill my wallet. I think it might be Rugged Ridge or something. It's a strap, that goes around a tree. I wasn't too worried about big names.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I just went on to Quadratech and ordered one that fit my safety needs and didn't kill my wallet. I think it might be Rugged Ridge or something. It's a strap, that goes around a tree. I wasn't too worried about big names.
Think this is the route that I am going to go. Find something that fits my needs but doesn't break the bank.

Reactions: khorsa

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm a big fan of the Bubba Rope products. You can probably buy cheaper, but not better. Not all companies do destructive testing on their products. Bubba Rope is a subsidiary of a commercial rigging manufacturer, and does extensive testing of their products. These are made in the USA, and can take a beating. Probably overkill if you don't do a lot of recovery. I'm using mine every weekend, to help recover somebody, so I love the quality.

http://www.bubbarope.com/tree-hugger

Reactions: Desert Runner

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I'm a big fan of the Bubba Rope products. You can probably buy cheaper, but not better. Not all companies do destructive testing on their products. Bubba Rope is a subsidiary of a commercial rigging manufacturer, and does extensive testing of their products. These are made in the USA, and can take a beating. Probably overkill if you don't do a lot of recovery. I'm using mine every weekend, to help recover somebody, so I love the quality.

I ended up going with a Hi-Lift variant. I will probably look into an ARB or one of those Bubba Ropes if it were to ever fail.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I ended up going with a Hi-Lift variant. I will probably look into an ARB or one of those Bubba Ropes if it were to ever fail.
The important thing, is you have something to save the tree from damage. I'm sure the Hi-Lift Variant will take care of you, when you need it.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Tailor your purchase to your expected uses.

It is illegal to outright lie about a specific load capacity. However, the difference between an $8 strap and a $60 strap is going to be its long-term resistance to abrasion, heat, and UV degredation. So, for something you keep for those rare recoveries, going cheap is no big deal. Just be aware that if you'll be using it twice a weekend and it will constantly be exposed to mud, sand, and rock, a more expensive one will almost certainly last longer.

One important note, most all synthetic load-bearing ropes and straps will degrade to some degree in high temps (like rubbing against an exhaust) or especially UV exposure. However, as far as abrasion goes, abrasion damage can pretty easily be seen, so it is still on you to inspect and replace gear showing signs of physical damage.

All that said, I have almost exclusively used generic-brand stuff where I can with no issues. One exception is my ARB snatch strap.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Tree savers are static web straps, that can be any size, but are usually 5 or 8 feet long. Tow straps are also static but usually 20-30 feet long. I bought 2 different brands that are 5 feet long. 1 i use as a tree-saver, the other as a 'bridle' to reduce the stress on my front recovery points. I have 4 up front, the 2 OEM hooks, and the 2 rings on my ARB bumper. By using 2 different brands that are different colors, i can at a glance, know what I'm reaching for.:smileycat:

Amazon...Generic (low cost) Chinese made in the 30,000 pound size. Strong enough for mid-size to full size rigs. NOTE: This is not a recovery(elastic/stretch) strap which is a completely different animal.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

These newer recovery ropes are probably a better solution than tow/recovery web straps, And safer too. The prices are finally coming down also. In the last 2 years , i have seen many more manufacturers offering a version to the retail market. Price is what has kept me from putting out the dough($) for one. My recovery bag has the straps, damper, shackles, etc, so there has been no need to upgrade yet. I will still be watching as i have seen how good they work, and how much less stress is applied to your anchor points.