Enthusiast II

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Hi,

A friend and I are going to hit the trail starting June 17. We are going to pick up the route (Sam’s) somewhere near New Castle VA in central VA.
We plan on sticking to the trail most of the time, but may bail to 2-lane country road when weather conditions turn snotty.

We hope to average between 150 and 200 miles per day while east of the Mississippi, including so some occasional sightseeing off the route. Hope to do as much camping in dispersed sites as possible, but will probably do an occasional overnight in private sites and a motel overnight here and there to clean up and catch up on things.

We need to make Colorado by July 1st or 2nd. We both have family out there and plan to spend a week visiting them (Colorado Springs and Boulder). Then back to the route until it veers off toward Oregon mid-way in Idaho. From what I've read this may be aggressive so likely we'll hop on 2-lane blacktop most of MS and OK to make our goal of Colrado by early July.

My friend has to be in OR no later than July 23rd re: needs to drop off his truck off at his mom’s house before shipping out on assignment sometime in mid-August. So depending on how things go once we leave Colorado Springs around June 7th we may have to exit the route here and there to make up some time.

My friend is driving his restored 1980 Defender (ex-military vehicle with a turbodiesel); I’m in a 2020 4Runner OffRoad.

If you’re looking to do the part or all of the route during this timeframe and want some company, just hit me up and we can chat.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
There's a chance you'll run into these guys:

They are departing June 12 and Colorado ETA is the first week of July. I plan to run the CO portion with them.

Levine98

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Levine
Member #

There's a chance you'll run into these guys:

They are departing June 12 and Colorado ETA is the first week of July. I plan to run the CO portion with them.
Yeah, was originally going to join their expadition but their departure date simply didn't work for me. I am also under the impression that they are going to stick to the route pretty much regardless of conditions and/or sightseeing opportunties. My buddy and I are less interested in that approach and want to maintain flexibility when encountering the unfun stuff.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
want to maintain flexibility when encountering the unfun stuff.
I can certainly understand your position. I know of more than one that has abandoned it in the mid-west or earlier out of boredom.

Let me know if you need anything.

Reactions: Levine98