Training for Overlanding (Expeditions and Local Leisure)

• HTML tutorial

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

After posting a reply in the Q&A section about Training, it occurred to me that certain parts of training people tend to forget about when looking to get out there,

So we all know that having some of the "core" elements of training are needed when going out remote like:
First Aid / Remote Wilderness Medicine
Survival Skills
Bushcraft
ect,

But the one thing which people haven't really discussed (as its usually a dull subject for some) is Heath and Safety and having the knowledge gained from such courses to help guide your Expedition in the right direction to keep it safe but enjoyable (without putting to much red tape in the way)

So in UK there is a fantastic course which is aimed more at Schools taking kids on trips ect or Tour operators - The course is the OSSM - Off-Site Safety Management
Basically its more aimed at Exped leaders to take on board all the usual HSE surrounding Risk Assessments and the like,

Myself and a few other within my group all took the OSSM course (which is backed by the RGS - Royal Geographical Society) and is an official certificate which is based on you understanding the risks associated with organising trips and ensuring certain things are in place should something happen (we all sadly live in a society where people sue each other - so why risk it and not do it properly)
Couple that with (if your a Club) having adequate Public Liability insurance to cover you, your team and the public on events

On the other side of things (coupling it with the public liability) we also have arranged first aid courses (Remote area first aid) which our members were more than happy to come and attend to not only boost their knowledge but also gain a "Life Skill"

I'm sure I'll add to it but here is a nice starting point to discuss :smile: