Trails in the East??

• HTML tutorial

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

I'm up in Mass and I'm looking for some as well. Found a couple in NH and VT. One in Mass so far. Hoping to find some more.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Anthracite Offroad Adventure Area and Bald Eagle state park are two places I have been looking into.
Bald Eagle State Forest is great. It’s a great mix of seemingly endless gorgeous forest roads with some nice trails here and there if you can tolerate pin striping haha. If you run Gaia I’d gladly some my routes with you.

Reactions: 11Chuck

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That would be awesome, Thank You. Right now my Nav device consists of a Delorme Atlas for PA and my cell phone. I am looking to upgrade eventually.
I know the DeLorme Atlas is great because I have a few of them but check out Purple Lizard for maps of outdoor areas in Pennsyltucky. They’re more than just a map as they have insightful information on them as well. Unless you have predownoaded maps your cell phone won’t do you a lot of good in BESF because there is hardly any coverage across the area. FYI Gaia will work on it because you download the maps ahead of time and it uses your phones gps.

11Chuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pine Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Lunger
Member #

I have heard of the purple lizard maps. This has got to be about a dozen times now that I've been recommended to purchase one. I geuss I really need to go ahead and do it. I will also download Gaia. I do really want to use the paper maps primarily. I think it's a lost art that I really want my children to know how to use them!

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Class 4 roads in Vermont are great, New Hampshire has its equivalent as well.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Are you able to camp in bald eagle? I've been looking for places in pa to do some overlanding that I can actually camp.
Absolutely. There are a few campgrounds and they also have (VERY) dispersed primitive sites.

Fast94tracer

Rank 0

Traveler I

I talked to the station out there and they sent me the map to the area in pdf .
They don't seem very big on vehicles.
How bad do some of the roads get? Anything requiring a lifted vehicle?

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Bald Eagle State Forest is great. It’s a great mix of seemingly endless gorgeous forest roads with some nice trails here and there if you can tolerate pin striping haha. If you run Gaia I’d gladly some my routes with you.
When you get into bald eagle state park is there a good point to get off-road, that you recommend. Think I’m gonna head up in a couple weeks for a Friday to Sunday trip

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
When you get into bald eagle state park is there a good point to get off-road, that you recommend. Think I’m gonna head up in a couple weeks for a Friday to Sunday trip
I have my preferred way of getting around but BESF is not small and you can work it any way you like. Some trails like Henstep, travelling west to east, go off to nowhere so I'd honestly recommend turning around and running it again backwards.

Have you considered picking up Gaia? or are you using something else that you can load routes into?

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I have my preferred way of getting around but BESF is not small and you can work it any way you like. Some trails like Henstep, travelling west to east, go off to nowhere so I'd honestly recommend turning around and running it again backwards.

Have you considered picking up Gaia? or are you using something else that you can load routes into?
I did download the app. Do you use one of the upgraded version? I ordered the purple lizard map for besf. Thanks for all the great information.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
No problem @GratefulFozzie. The routes won't care which version you run but I do have both the old and new. Send me a DM with your email address and I'll send you some links.