Trailer Hitch Stabilizer: Do you use one on your Trailer?

• HTML tutorial

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
For trailers, i have always preferred a dual axle. I have found them to be safer in a blown tire scenario. If you lose a tire at Hwy speeds, the other axle and remaining tire on the 2nd axle, will keep the trailer tracking straight. With a single axle, there is a much higher percentage of lost control or the trailer flipping, before you can safely pull over to the side of the road. I have witnessed the violent sway of a single axle trailer losing a tire at speed. A situation that could cause a horrible chain reaction crash.

I put on the dual sway bar system on my flatbed, but for those who use a RTT type camp trailer (raised suspension), do you use one of those single hydraulic or friction hitch sway control systems, while rolling down the Hwy to your destination?. They are easy to disconnect for articulation in off-road areas. I have not seen this come up for discussion, and wondered about it, as most of these trailers have a short...Tongue hitch, which would exasperate a lost tire at speed. There are some serious $$$$ invested in these off-road trailers.

So chime in on your thoughts and stories, the Pros/Cons, observations on the road, installs, etc!:grin:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In my opinion, trailer stability is a big issue. The people like yourself go out of the way to make sure "if" something happens, your probably not going to have an issue. Unfortunately, no one makes an idiot proof trailer. How its loaded makes all the difference in the world. I haven't had the need for sway control on my car hauler but, i balance the weight properly.
Home made off-road trailers........wow. Some of the things I've seen. Just because someone owns tools and a welder, does not mean they can fabricate. Or should. I don't think you need an engineering degree to build them but, at least research tongue length and balance as well as proper suspension design. Picture a 4x6 box trailer with the weight balanced perfectly so there's no tongue weight and the 300 lb RTT sitting 5 ft higher than the axle. Oh add independent suspension. I didn't want to drive behind him on the highway. His trailer was all over the road.

My off-road trailer loaded is 1300 lbs. When I built it, everyone asked why I put brakes on it. Try doing a panic stop with something that's almost 1/3 your vehicle weight without brakes. First thing that happens is it push's the back of your vehicle up. Now that you have less traction in the rear, your susceptible to being pushed sideways.
Mine is made with a 10 gallon water tank in the front. When its empty, I shift my tool box's to the front for stability. If not, the trailer is all over the road.
I thought about doing some kind of sway control and was thinking about adding it into my next trailer build. Im not sure how the stabilizer bars will work on mountain roads but I could disconnect them if it was an issue. I have only seen the bar type not the hydro or friction. Do the latter allow for cornering?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
In my opinion, trailer stability is a big issue. The people like yourself go out of the way to make sure "if" something happens, your probably not going to have an issue. Unfortunately, no one makes an idiot proof trailer. How its loaded makes all the difference in the world. I haven't had the need for sway control on my car hauler but, i balance the weight properly.
Home made off-road trailers........wow. Some of the things I've seen. Just because someone owns tools and a welder, does not mean they can fabricate. Or should. I don't think you need an engineering degree to build them but, at least research tongue length and balance as well as proper suspension design. Picture a 4x6 box trailer with the weight balanced perfectly so there's no tongue weight and the 300 lb RTT sitting 5 ft higher than the axle. Oh add independent suspension. I didn't want to drive behind him on the highway. His trailer was all over the road.

My off-road trailer loaded is 1300 lbs. When I built it, everyone asked why I put brakes on it. Try doing a panic stop with something that's almost 1/3 your vehicle weight without brakes. First thing that happens is it push's the back of your vehicle up. Now that you have less traction in the rear, your susceptible to being pushed sideways.
Mine is made with a 10 gallon water tank in the front. When its empty, I shift my tool box's to the front for stability. If not, the trailer is all over the road.
I thought about doing some kind of sway control and was thinking about adding it into my next trailer build. Im not sure how the stabilizer bars will work on mountain roads but I could disconnect them if it was an issue. I have only seen the bar type not the hydro or friction. Do the latter allow for cornering?
Yes, but as you would think, articulation becomes more limited. Hence, the statement of disconnecting in off road situations. Graded type dirt roads, or kept fire roads would not be a problem

I didn't even think to mention trailer brakes as a method to keep a trailer straight...GOOD CATCH. Having them can keep a dicey situation from going bad to worse.

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
I pull an all aluminum RTT trailer, weighs 1050# loaded. It's equipped with electric brakes, even at that light of a weight. Using a Jeep JK with it's short wheelbase to tow, I prefer not to be pushed around in a panic brake situation. The Lock & Roll hitch may or may not allow easy use of a stabilizer, but admittedly I had not thought about installing one.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The Lock & Roll hitch may or may not allow easy use of a stabilizer, but admittedly I had not thought about installing one.
I made my own version of the 3 axis hitch. Those rock. I will never use a pintal or a ball mount again off-road.
What I was envisioning was, going a few inchs outboard using heim joints to allow up and down movement but keeping the side to side down to a minimum. I haven't done the math or the angles yet but it doesn't look too hard. As far as I know, its going to be custom. There again, I'm not sure how happy a rigid design will hold up on turns. Something in the way of an inline shock would probably be the ticket.

I didn't even think to mention trailer brakes as a method to keep a trailer straight...GOOD CATCH. Having them can keep a dicey situation from going bad to worse.
I keep my brake controller in reach just in case. I also use it off-road on soft slow down hill's. The trailer will want to push around you if your using engine braking.

Reactions: Desert Runner

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I use a stabilizer on mine, but as mentioned earlier, weight distribution is key to keeping control. I was pulling a dual axle utility trailer years back loaded with metal studs and track. It wasn't loaded right and it started swaying at highway speed and got real ugly real fast. I definitely take weight distribution into account when loading a camper now.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I run a friction type sway control along with my weight distribution hitch on my flatbed and my cargo hauler, but those are both large, tandems. I have never noticed any kind of sway control on small trailers. I too would be interested to hear from folks who have run them.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I made my own version of the 3 axis hitch. Those rock. I will never use a pintal or a ball mount again off-road.
What I was envisioning was, going a few inchs outboard using heim joints to allow up and down movement but keeping the side to side down to a minimum. I haven't done the math or the angles yet but it doesn't look too hard. As far as I know, its going to be custom. There again, I'm not sure how happy a rigid design will hold up on turns. Something in the way of an inline shock would probably be the ticket.

I keep my brake controller in reach just in case. I also use it off-road on soft slow down hill's. The trailer will want to push around you if your using engine braking.
The only downside I see, is in tight parking situations, where a JACKNIFE could be a possibility. This is where a ...quick release...on the hitch would be nice, for the stabilizer. It is at hwy speeds, that the safety aspect rears its head. Binding would be reduced, or eliminated.

Has anyone heard of the anti bind 3 dimensional off road hitch, being adoptable to a stabilizer?

If someone has a stabilizer on a single axle trailer, plz post pics.