Hobbes

Rank I

Contributor III

Battle Creek, MI, USA
First Name
JCalvin
Last Name
Hobbes
I've browsed many forums, and searched, but did not see any threads discussing items for trail repair kits. I'm working a list of stuff for what I termed "vehicle first aid kit". I would add stainless steel cable ties to my kit, in addition to plastic zip ties. I saw 100 pack of 11.8" stainless cable ties on Amazon for $10.00, most show a tinsel strength (breaking point) of 200lbs. For a puncture in a radiator hose, glue a tire repair patch & maybe wrap with electrical / duct tape, it should enable a rig to get down the trail to a parts store / repair facility, just leave radiator cap loose. So far in my vehicle first aid kit list I have:

Duct tape
Electrical tape
Zip ties - plastic & metal, variety of sizes
Wire
JB Weld?
Gasket Sealer
Glue / epoxy
Tire patch kit

While I've never used JB Weld, I saw a video of a trail repair on a motorcycle using JB Weld Steelstik & tape to "glue" a snapped in two shift linkage back together on a motorcycle. Got him back on the trail! I wonder if JB Weld would hold as temp fix on punctured transmission / brake line.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You may want to add fluids to that list. Also of utmost importance is a shovel bucket and garbage bags. If you have a failure where fluid hits the ground it is your responsibility to dig up all contaminated soil and pack it out.

Other than that I would add accessory drive belts, ujoints and engine and cabin air filters. In all of my time exploring ujoints have been the most common failure next to tires and wheels. Naturally make sure you have the tools to change these.

Only time I have had more significant failures is when I was being really dumb.

Reactions: MMc

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My "band aid" kit has JB weld putty stick, gas tank repair (looks like the JB weld stuff only for fuel), Alumaseal (stopleak), heavy black nylon zip ties, Engine stopleak (think temporary head gasket repair) Gorilla duct tape (whichever one was strongest), tire repair kit with two Colby valves. The electrical tape in in my electrical kit.

Fluid wise I bring three bottles of ATF. It can be used in engine, trans, steering, diff (as long as you don't stress the diff). One bottle of brake fluid. The liquids must go into something sealed where they cant move around and if they leak, it stays there.

Reactions: MMc

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
While I've never used JB Weld, I saw a video of a trail repair on a motorcycle using JB Weld Steelstik & tape to "glue" a snapped in two shift linkage back together on a motorcycle. Got him back on the trail! I wonder if JB Weld would hold as temp fix on punctured transmission / brake line.
When we did the AZ BDR a couple years ago, one of the motos repaired a worn-thru brake line with JB Weld Steelstik. It held.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have temporarily patched a small fuel tank leak caused by a rock with Octagon soap. Worked good until it rained. It could stop an active leak until you get the permanent patch. Might work on other small fluid leaks not under pressure . Also, used graphite in the radiator to stop leaks. I hear sawdust and oatmeal might work too but sounds problematic. There is now waterproof Gorilla tape that is very good and stronger stickier than the regular.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I blew up the radiator during a trip to big bend. I was 20 miles from pavement. JB Weld worked to patch it enough to hold water/coolant with the pressure cap loose so I could finish the trip, then drive 450 miles home.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If you are planning on anything sticking to anything that has or has had oil in or on it you are going to want a strong de greaser/solvent.

Brake Clean or similar chlorinated will work on most oils, synthetics maybe/maybe not.

Potential for success in a JB Weld repair is only slightly above zero if there is any (and I do mean any) oil present.

Reactions: Sparksalot

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I've browsed many forums, and searched, but did not see any threads discussing items for trail repair kits. I'm working a list of stuff for what I termed "vehicle first aid kit". I would add stainless steel cable ties to my kit, in addition to plastic zip ties. I saw 100 pack of 11.8" stainless cable ties on Amazon for $10.00, most show a tinsel strength (breaking point) of 200lbs. For a puncture in a radiator hose, glue a tire repair patch & maybe wrap with electrical / duct tape, it should enable a rig to get down the trail to a parts store / repair facility, just leave radiator cap loose. So far in my vehicle first aid kit list I have:

Duct tape
Electrical tape
Zip ties - plastic & metal, variety of sizes
Wire
JB Weld?
Gasket Sealer
Glue / epoxy
Tire patch kit

Stainless steel zip ties are a great piece of material. Thanks for mentioning. I will buy a new bag again.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Seals all if they still make it works on almost everything, a few self tapping screws, small drill and a couple small pieces of aluminum or sheet metal you can patch a gas tank or oil pan. It would get you to a hiway in most cases.