Trail Recommendations for Northern Bay Area

• HTML tutorial

Owencavlys

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate I

Centennial, Clorado
Member #

The wife and I are planning to take a trip in a month or so. We have an 11-month old, so it's a "test the waters" type of trip. To see how he does camping, and how he'll do in long car rides.

We've taken him before, but he was so young he just slept while we bounced around in the hills.

Does anyone know Mendocino National Forest or the Lost Coast really well with campsite recommendations? We're only going to stay a few days at the most.

Right now we're considering Van Damme SP. It's not exactly an overland location.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&contractCode=ca&parkCode=vand

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
We like the lower nye camp ground in the mendo NF. Not next to a true water feature but there is a creek down a little cliff.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Sorry should have added That there is some nice camping in the Lost Coast but some require a little work to get there. What are you driving and how comfortable are you off road as a single vehicle?

Owencavlys

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate I

Centennial, Clorado
Member #

Oh sure. If we go to the spot we're planning currently, we'll be about 100 miles or fewer south of the Lost Coast.

I'm in a 2010 T4R Trail that is mostly stock. No winch, but lifted. Has a rear locker and A-TRAC.

I feel pretty comfortable, but don't feel I have enough gear should something go wrong. I've just started getting this vehicle ready, so no recovery gear, tire repair, spare parts, travel tools, etc. (YET). So I'd really rather not run into trouble.

My wife is also highly uncomfortable off road for the time being. She's entirely inexperienced and nervous. And we have an 11 month old.

All that to say we're looking to take it slow until we're better equipped or have traveling buddies who can bail us out.

Sorry should have added That there is some nice camping in the Lost Coast but some require a little work to get there. What are you driving and how comfortable are you off road as a single vehicle?

707nick

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

The wife and I are planning to take a trip in a month or so. We have an 11-month old, so it's a "test the waters" type of trip. To see how he does camping, and how he'll do in long car rides.

We've taken him before, but he was so young he just slept while we bounced around in the hills.

Does anyone know Mendocino National Forest or the Lost Coast really well with campsite recommendations? We're only going to stay a few days at the most.

Right now we're considering Van Damme SP. It's not exactly an overland location.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&contractCode=ca&parkCode=vand
Van Damme is a favorite spot in my family, been there quite a few times growing up. The Fern Trail at the back of the campground is a nice hike.

Reactions: Owencavlys

Owencavlys

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate I

Centennial, Clorado
Member #

Awesome, that's great to know. We're pretty set on that spot for this trip. I'm hoping to get some good night photography near the ocean.

Do you guys have a favorite site number? It looks like some of them are pretty crowded together, but the ones toward the back of the site might be a little more spread out.

Van Damme is a favorite spot in my family, been there quite a few times growing up. The Fern Trail at the back of the campground is a nice hike.

707nick

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Awesome, that's great to know. We're pretty set on that spot for this trip. I'm hoping to get some good night photography near the ocean.

Do you guys have a favorite site number? It looks like some of them are pretty crowded together, but the ones toward the back of the site might be a little more spread out.
It has been a few years since I have been out there. We used to stay in the site 14 to 30 area along the river. I haven't camped in the site 31-74 area of the campground.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I've been to Mendocino many times. Sadly, I never had a chance to go off roading. For breakfast we would go to Little River Inn, great food and service. The cost is way cheaper then in Mendocino Village. You should also check out Big River beach and Jug Handle Beach. Jug Handle does get crowded and the parking lot is small, so go early.

Reactions: Owencavlys

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Forgot to mention to check out Big River Trading Co. in the village off Main Street. They have great souvenirs!